Community discussions

MikroTik App

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

PCengines + RouterOS 3.17 incl. WiFi. Recommendations ?

Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:37 am

Is anybody using a board from PCengines and ROS 3.17 and WiFi ?
I want to install a hotspot, and the PCengine cards seem to be appropiate enough for this purpose, especially because of price + CF-card possible on all of them, for booting.
Otherwise, I am still a bit skeptical regarding compatibility and stability of the WiFi card and its driver, in case it is not a combination of ROS + Mikrotik HW.

So, can anybody recommend a PCengines board with a WiFi card ?

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PCengines + RouterOS 3.17 incl. WiFi. Recommendations ?

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:00 am

If you mean a WRAP board I have several. They seem very stable running the x86 version of ROS

Equis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:33 pm

I have a few (left)
They are fine but I would prefer a routerboard (software comes on it + more reliable for me anyway)

reinerotto
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:46 pm

Sorry, I am more looking at the ALIX boards. WRAP is at end of life :-)
When comparing the technology, I do not need high CPU power, but a local boot device, like CF. In this respect, the ALIX-boards have an edge compared to the Routerboards.
And when I look at the prices, PCengines is cheaper, at least regarding the acessories, which are directly comparable, like box, WiFi card etc.

So at least for low-power hotspots, PCengines seems to be the better choice, as far as hardware is concerned.

thesimj
just joined

Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:59 am

I use several Alix 3c1 for HotSpot. Great x86 card, stable (on 3.17 and 3.18). Use it with CM-9 card. I recommend you to use 1Gb CF card, not more. i have some difficult to install MT 3.17 on 4Gb CF Transcent. But soon installed ;).

This is good mini x86 cpu. if you dont't like MT, install other x86 OS (like Gentoo ;)) or other Wireless OS.