Community discussions

MikroTik App

acidbits
just joined
Topic Author

BGP broken in a ring-backbone after 3.18 upgrade

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi all,

Our wireless network has a backbone with 20 routers (RB600 and RB500), 7 of them are the main backbone and perform a ring. They use BGP. Routers had different routerOS versions, starting at 2.9.x till 3.17. Everything has worked OK for a long time. If any of the ring backbone routers had some problem, routing tables were updated in a few seconds in the right way.

This morning we've upgraded one single router to 3.18, and started to have issues. Routing tables started to loose routes. We've recovered the situation disabling the link between two of the 7 ring backbones (breaking the ring), and had to reboot most of the network's routers.

At this state, if we re-enabled the link between those two routers that perform the backbone ring, chaos raised again. We've decided to upgrade all network routers to 3.18. BGP works fine when backbone is not performing a ring. But each time we re-enable the ring, routing tables go to hell.

We need our ring back ! ;-)

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: BGP broken in a ring-backbone after 3.18 upgrade

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Hello,

I am having this same problem. On 3.18 I am getting a AS-PATH LOOP message in the debug logs. I believe BGP is not filtering out it's own AS number from incoming routes possibly. I have had to disable the BGP peering session between two routers to break the loop so it doesn't keep flip flopping.

Can you send a supout and report this to support, as I will also? We need to get this fixed.

Sam

acidbits
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:35 pm

Happy not being alone on that ...

Been upgrading all routers to 3.19, but same sh**. My network is in production and I have to be conservative, each test I perform breaks network down, I have to reboot most of the routers, and today users aren't happy at all with the service.

I'm getting no BGP messages at log. Each time I re-enable the link between the two routers that close the loop, routes disappear from their routing table, and the rest of routers loose most of them.

Mikrotik support is not reading this? Have to report back directly to them? I think this is an important issue for a "stable" version.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:32 am

yes, a supout and description to support@mikrotik is the best way... they don't always pass these things to developers. I will try to prepare a supout and report tonight as well. the more reports the better. not everyone runs BGP in a ring config so it won't get fixed unless we report it.

mojiro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Happy not being alone on that ...

Been upgrading all routers to 3.19, but same sh**. My network is in production and I have to be conservative, each test I perform breaks network down, I have to reboot most of the routers, and today users aren't happy at all with the service.

I'm getting no BGP messages at log. Each time I re-enable the link between the two routers that close the loop, routes disappear from their routing table, and the rest of routers loose most of them.

Mikrotik support is not reading this? Have to report back directly to them? I think this is an important issue for a "stable" version.
have you noticed problems in previous versions ?

can you post a sample config from one router ?

acidbits
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:00 am

have you noticed problems in previous versions ?
None till 3.18, and I had probably all versions starting at 2.9.x
can you post a sample config from one router ?
Sure. As the network is part of guifi.net, it is a Free Open Network, and basic config for routers is provided by guifi.net's application, and it is public. The two routers that actually have their link disabled to break the loop have this configuration:

http://guifi.net/guifi/device/6723/view/unsolclic
http://guifi.net/guifi/device/6721/view/unsolclic

As soon as I re-enable the link between them, routing table (~35 entries) gets empty. And the rest of backbone's routers loose most of them. Problem is not with these two routers, they are just the ones I selected to break the backbone loop.

I can link config for all backbone routers, but I think is useless since it looks to me this is an issue in BGP daemon that doesn't handle BGP "loops" properly.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:18 pm

What's new in 3.19:
*) fixed BGP route selection in routing-test;

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:49 pm

we're not using routing-test... did it get backported to standard routing package ?

acidbits
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:11 am

What's new in 3.19:
I uploaded routing-test (3.19) to all backbone routers two days ago. First it looks like everything works fine, but still having issues:

- There are two RB100 that loose all routing table entries, twice per day.

- Every 4-5 hours there's some random backbone end router that also loose all entries. All of them are placed at some backbone end, they only have one link to the backbone.

I have to reboot them manually each time this happens. Please, we need a fix ASAP. We need a stable network.

mojiro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 am

What's new in 3.19:
I uploaded routing-test (3.19) to all backbone routers two days ago. First it looks like everything works fine, but still having issues:

- There are two RB100 that loose all routing table entries, twice per day.

- Every 4-5 hours there's some random backbone end router that also loose all entries. All of them are placed at some backbone end, they only have one link to the backbone.

I have to reboot them manually each time this happens. Please, we need a fix ASAP. We need a stable network.
That's not solution... That's Mikrotik 2.9.x with routing-test-test-test...

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:16 pm

Any news about BGP Rings?
Can i deploy a new EBGP with 3.20 or should i keep 3.17?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:25 pm

v3.20 regular routing package still has this bug, you will have to wait v3.21 or use routing-test