Community discussions

MikroTik App

kurt2000
just joined
Topic Author

Feature request : scsi support

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:54 am

Hi

I would really like to install router os on our vmware i3 rig, that only have support for scsi drives. I't would be really nice if there were support for a buslogic scsi harddrive.

That would also make it easier to scale on x86 8)

Doest routeros support smp ?

With kind regards
Svend

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Feature request : scsi support

Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:56 am

RouterOS v3 supports SMP (multi core/cpu) but it doesn't support SCSI. It's hard to say if it will support it in future versions, there are no specific plans about it.

priit
just joined

Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:01 pm

I do not see any sense of supporting SCSI - SCSI can be considered obsolete by now.
Last 2 years there has not been any servers with SCSI disks available. It is over.

Support for Native SATA (AHCI) and SAS (Serial Attached Storage) however would be very welcome.
And some most popular SATA RAID controllers (3Ware is the best) also.
You really need some redundancy for important routers!

kurt2000
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:09 pm

VmWare does exactly that !

It gives me redundancy, I can make a snapshot of my router every nigh if i want. if the iron crashes i just move my image to another server. I can also upgrade the router with more cores and memory, without oppening a box. :D

But that's only possible if the routeros supports either a buslogic scsi or lsi logic driver.

Wkr.
Svend

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:51 pm

afair mt will never do that, they are completely ignoring this request since months and are just talking sarcastic about it, so do not hope to get it implemented in the future. as priit said, if they ever do it, it will be at a time where scsi is completely obsolete. i don't think it is obsolete right now, as it is a good combination of reliability and price, as sas-disks are more expensive than a scsi-disk, but in a few years it will.

kurt2000
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:34 am

afair mt will never do that, they are completely ignoring this request since months and are just talking sarcastic about it, so do not hope to get it implemented in the future. as priit said, if they ever do it, it will be at a time where scsi is completely obsolete. i don't think it is obsolete right now, as it is a good combination of reliability and price, as sas-disks are more expensive than a scsi-disk, but in a few years it will.

Yeah, i undestand. But the vmware server has no other virtual hardware for the guest operating system than buslogic or syslogic virtual scsi. I dosn't matter that the server itself uses sas disk or san, it pressentates the disk as a scsi disk.

So scsi isn't obsolete, it's just virtual hardware.

Wkr.

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:42 pm

exactly my opinion, but not the one of mt :-)