Community discussions

MikroTik App

cheinzle
Topic Author

SNMP reading

Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:53 pm

i have a routerboard running 2.8.26. it has a 4-port ethernet pci card installed. I have 2 interfaces that are connected to the rest of the network, each with their own IP address. both are pingable from a server running MRTG. I cannot get SNMP response from *only* one ip address, the other works fine.

This is duplicated on 2 other routerboards. both exhibit the same behavior.

ideas?

GJS

Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:01 pm

It could be that you are expecting each interface to have it's own set of OIDs, assigned to the IP address? This is not the case. OIDs are assigned for the whole router and interrogation can take place on any interface that it not blocked from accepting input packets.

So, just go to the interface you want SNMP data from and do print OID. Then just put the address that works, plus this OID in the MRTG config file.

Hope that helps.

By the way, you are in the Beta forum, try general networking section for 2.8 issues.
Guy

wispuk.org
A Forum Community for UK WISPs

cheinzle
Topic Author

SNMP reading

Mon May 02, 2005 10:44 pm

actually, im getting NO response from the other IP addresses, using MRTG cfgmaker or Linux snmpwalk. Im expecting the same device OIDs from each of the IP addresses.

I currently am reading from the IP address that works, but Im wondering why the other(s) dont respond to SNMP

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 02, 2005 11:59 pm

The snmp listener should be listening on all router IP addresses. If you cannot access it then most likely there is a firewall input rule thats disallowing it or something.

Sam

JJCinAZ

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:16 pm

Actually I think there is a bug in the SNMP module on 2.8 and 2.9. The SNMP module will only respond on the IP address used by the default route. I've tried this on 2.8.26 and 2.9rc7. You can even add a firewall rule with Accept and Log and see the inbound SNMP. Haven't sniffed the traffic to see what happens on the reply.