Community discussions

MikroTik App

DjAtif
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How to stop MAC Cloning

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Hello i have a problem i have more then 50 clients have there own speed limitation but the mostly clients change the NIC mac address to other clients & using internet i want to stop MAC cloneing how? i have option for hotspot & proxy but i want to provide internet in same method i.e now i m using simple NAT anyone have a idea thanks in advanced

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How to stop MAC Cloning

Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:32 pm

if you will have any kind of user/pass based authentication (like hotspot or pppoe) then the mac cloning will be useless for these violators, they will also need username+password

DjAtif
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:18 pm

no i m using just simpale NAT by firewall masqeurade & i can't change into hotspot or pppe any one have idea??

Mplsguy
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 pm

If all your client devices are running RouterOS, you can use management frame protection available in wireless-test:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Wireless_ ... protection

Or you can use WPA and assign different preshared key for every customer.

mudasir
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:13 pm

AOA,

Dear Atif,

why can not you implement to PPPoE or Hotspot, they are the best authentication methods. Where are you running your cable internet system

onowojemma
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 pm

if you will have any kind of user/pass based authentication (like hotspot or pppoe) then the mac cloning will be useless for these violators, they will also need username+password
Hello normis i run hotspot but in my school student still do mac cloning and bypass the hotspot is there nay way i could handle this?
Thanks

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Hello normis i run hotspot but in my school student still do mac cloning and bypass the hotspot is there nay way i could handle this?
Thanks
The only way to prevent MAC spoofing on a layer2 network is to prevent each client from seeing each other. This is beyond the control and scope of ANY layer3 device, this must happen at the edge of the network. Get access points that support client isolation, get managed switches that support port isolation, this is your solution.

Note that this does not prevent them from changing their MAC address at will, it just prevents them from scanning the network and finding out other peoples MAC addresses in the hopes of getting on with another clients MAC address.

onowojemma
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Thanks
The only way to prevent MAC spoofing on a layer2 network is to prevent each client from seeing each other. This is beyond the control and scope of ANY layer3 device, this must happen at the edge of the network. Get access points that support client isolation, get managed switches that support port isolation, this is your solution.

Note that this does not prevent them from changing their MAC address at will, it just prevents them from scanning the network and finding out other peoples MAC addresses in the hopes of getting on with another clients MAC address.
Yea thanks for ur reply but could i use mikrotik to do that ?

ahang
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:55 pm

For pppoe spoofing MAC is not working :)

Davis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:01 am

In Russia some providers use PPTP VPN (warning it uses CPU on VPN server/router) because its more secure than PPPoE.
If you don't want any username/password authentication for your users you can use managed switch with MAC filtering (each user then would be connected to his own port on managed switch and only packets from his MAC address would be accepted on that port). This would eliminate MAC cloning completely (yes, managed switch can eliminate MAC spoofing/cloning).
If the only problem is that users cheat their speed limits and you have a few standard speed limits (lets say 2/2, 10/10 and 20/20 Mbps) for all your customers in some cases cheaper alternative woud be isolating groups of users with similar speed limits. For example if you have 3 standard speed limits (example above), all your customers are connected to one port of your router and it has 2 unused ports you can connect all users with 2/2 limit to unused port 1 and all users with 10/10 limit to unused port 2. Bridge these ports together and in BRIDGE filter rules input chain (or if you want to use ip firewall filter specify in-bridge-port there) put IP or MAC restrictions to these ports (be aware that DHCP will also use 0.0.0.0 as source address). An alternative to bridging would be putting clients with different speed limits in different subnets (or some nasty configuration with big drawbacks). In case of different subnets there won't be many filtering rules but IP address will have to be changed along with speed limit. If your router doesn't have enaugh free ports attach managed switch to it and use VLANs (or set IP/MAC restrictions on the switch). In any case cheaper method will have drawback that you must also physically connect user to another layer 2 (switch) network when changing speed limit.
If you have long lines with many chained switches don't think about 1 big managed switch, but think about replacing your small unmanaged switches with small managed switches that support MAC filtering (e.g. MikroTik RB250GS).
In any case you must also ensure physical security of switches (that users won't plug their cords to different ports or networks).

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:03 pm

Yea thanks for ur reply but could i use mikrotik to do that ?
If the MikroTik is the edge device, i.e. the access point yes. Or if a client needs to go "through" the MikroTik to talk to another client, you can block them.

If it's just the layer3 hop on the network to the internet then no. A client does not need to use a router to talk to other devices on the same layer2 network.

nmthaker
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Dear Sir,

I have PPPoE user name and password but some other person using the same MAC and login. Can you please help us to clear the issue with MAC Spoofing.

sswfarm
just joined

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Wrong!!!At least on Hotspot anyway.

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:02 pm

If all your client devices are running RouterOS, you can use management frame protection available in wireless-test:

@Mplsguy Link does not exist

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:13 pm

@Mplsguy Link does not exist
That's what happens when you respond to a 5 year old post ;-)

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:In ... protection

plisken
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks Normis :D