MikroTik App

johand
just joined
Topic Author

Problem with VLAN on bridged interface

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:22 pm

I have some problems with bridge-interface and VLAN. This is my setup:

ROS 3.20 (also tries 3.13) on RB433AH.

I have one ehternet-interface, ether1, handling untagged traffic. I also have one VLAN-interface, vlan1, handling tagged traffic on the physical ether1-interface. This works fine, no problem at all.

Now I want to make a bride between ether1 and a wlan-interface, wlan1. I add ether1 and wlan1 to bridge1. The bridge works perfect, but vlan1 stops working. Could it be some problem with this configuration? I can provide more information about my setup if needed.

I solved this by tagging all traffic on ether1 and handle it as vlan2 instead. No problem when adding vlan2 instead of ether1 to bridge1. This took some time to realise...

So, is this a bug or a configuration error?

Johan

roadrunner
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Problem with VLAN on bridged interface

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:36 pm

I have also noticed this bug. This might be a linux 'thing' or just mikrotik.
I have noticed this on 2.9.x & 3.x RouterOS versions on all hardware: x86, mipsle, ppc & mipsbe. I haven't tried this on 4.0beta as of yet.

If a physical interface is a member of a bridge, then the vlan needs to have the 'parent' interface be the bridge instead of the physical interface. Your vlan tagged frames now go out both your ethernet port and your wireless.

On most managed switches you can have multiple ethernet ports members of the same 'bridge group' but still have certain ports have a separate tagged vlan that doesn't go out the other ports.

What do you have the ethernet port connected to? Perhaps you could create a second vlan that is bridged with the wireless instead of bridging to the untagged ethernet port.

johand
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Problem with VLAN on bridged interface

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:03 pm

Perhaps you could create a second vlan that is bridged with the wireless instead of bridging to the untagged ethernet port.
Yes, that is what I did. I just think that this behavior is not what you expect.

/Johan