Community discussions

MikroTik App

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

RF Limits - Please Decode This

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:09 am

This really has nothig to do with ROS, But I thought people here might be able to help with the "decoding" of this government wordage...

For the band 5725-5825 MHz, the maximum conducted output power shall not exceed 1.0 W or
17 + 10 log10 B, dBm, whichever power is less. The power spectral density shall not exceed 17 dBm in any 1.0 MHz band. The maximum e.i.r.p. shall not exceed 4.0 W or 23 + 10 log10 B, dBm, whichever power is less. B is the 99% emission bandwidth in MHz.
Fixed point-to-point systems for this band are permitted to have an e.i.r.p. greater than 4 W, provided that the higher e.i.r.p. is achieved by employing higher gain antennas, but not higher transmitter output powers. Point-to-multipoint systems, omni-directional applications and multiple co-located transmitters transmitting the same information are prohibited from exceeding 4 W e.i.r.p. However, remote stations of point-to-multipoint systems shall be permitted to operate at greater than 4 W e.i.r.p, under the same conditions as for point-to-point systems.

No where in this PDF at Industry canada does it say exactly how much more then 4 Watt EIRP. At least for Point to point or PtMP. Omni and repeater set ups are also 1 watt eirp max. Am I reading this right? I am wondering becuase i Have 23 db antenna's on XR5's with 26db output on the cards.

Setting the country and antenna gain in ROS drops the card output to like 10db or something.

Althought I did find out why my R52h might of died...
I found this on there too:

In addition, users should also be cautioned to take note that high-power radars are allocated as primary users (meaning they have priority) of the bands 5250-5350 MHz and 5650-5850 MHz and these radars could cause interference and/or damage to LE-LAN devices

I live close to the airport... Besides, why would they put radar and 802.11a on the same freq.?

Any thoughs would be appreciated on the total EIRP in Canada if anyone knows.

I'm more wondering becuase I have seen the industry canada van drive by a while ago... yup the one with all the RF stuff on it, antenna's and test equipment, My brother has seen it drive by his shop a while back too. The links have been up for 2 years or more. I figure if there was an issue they would have knocked on the door already?

Thanks.

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: RF Limits - Please Decode This

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:51 am

WellI talked toa local guy who is in the industry.. He said that Canadian law says exactly as it does up on my last post. You cannot exceed 4 watt EIRP, BUT if it is a point to point, or point to multi point you can, I asked him as to what amount, he said thats the funny part, there is no wording on what the limit is. He simply said that if a problem arises where there are issues, someone will say something. Basically fair access to everyone. So, If you are in canada, Fry your brains out!

Wierd laws.