MikroTik App

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

New business area

Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:26 pm

Dear Mikrotik team

The mikrotik router is both hardware- and software wise simply a very good product. It beats in my view any standard consumer router on the market and offers the best value-for -money. The only problem is that the software is that the set up and maintenance is too complicated for the most users - even high level PC users.

I am confident that there is a market consisting of guy's like undersigned. Where the features offered in standard router like Linksys, D-Link, etc is insufficient, but the the struggle to set up a mikrotik router from scratch is too much. Even considering the examples available on the wiki and the help available here on the board.

Wouldn't it be an idea to make a standard configuration e.g. a 4 port standard configuration for the routerboard available on a board specific for this customer segment, who want to use the router for home LAN. Along with the standard configuration there should be modules available to install using the terminal to set up firewall features, port forwarding, QoS, access restrictions to internet, etc.

The service / board could be administered as an open source service from Mikrotik e.g. with the help from some the experts here on the board.

Again, I am sure there is a strong market potential for this and advertisement of the roduct and the new service from Mikrotik would be an issue of getting some of the popular IT / PC magazines interested in the concept.

Does this sound completely out of line - or would it be worth thinking about?

Best regards, Pilgrim

jwcn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New business area

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:57 am

The target is not home/consumer users but commercial/enterprise users. Even a power user can't open a Cisco router, plug it in, and expect it to work. IMHO having that type of setup will just clutter up the support resources and forum more than they already are.

Pilgrim
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: New business area

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:00 pm

Thank you for the comment. I think the potential is there and I would expect that this is exactly what the RB 450 G minirouter is intended for.

A concept like the one suggest above would anable power users to do with the Mikrotik minirouter, what they can't do with the cisco router. Making a designated site with instructions and a standard configuration, which is constantly updated with new firewall enhancements and modules for port forwarding, etc. would reduce clutter on the forum for the commercial users.

And power users would have a much more flexible and powerfull router solutions, which is not currently available in the standard consumer market.

Best regards, Pilgrim