error sending email smtp server not ready

Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:39 am

Hay,
Am using MT3.13 and i have script to send ip throug email
befor its working fine but since two weeks all time show these error
error sending email smtp server not ready
set from=xxx@xxx.com server=xx.xx.xx.xx
my script

name="emailip" owner="admin" policy=ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,winbox,password,sniff
last-started=apr/04/2009 11:50:02 run-count=977
source=/tool e-mail send to="xxx@xxx.com" subject= "Server IP" body=" Server IP Server IP"

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: error sending email smtp server not ready

Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:48 pm

The stock answer is upgrade to v3.22 and see if that fixes the problem. I can certainly use your script on my v3.22 router without any problems.

Next, can you send email via the same server from another device on the same LAN?

Are you using a username and password for submitting the email? The SMTP server may have started requiring authentication.

The MT Router is sending the SMTP message via the standard port (25) which more and more ISPs are blocking for email submission from clients in an attempt to combat Spam. If you are attempting to submit to an a third party SMTP server outside your ISP's network, many now block this on port 25. You may need to enter a firewall rule to remap packets with a destination port of 25 to 587 which is the email submission port for clients. Most ISP's seem to allow port 587 submission to servers outside their network, although I have come across one that doesn't allow 587 and I've had to add a completely non-standard port to get around their attempts to restrict me! There doesn't appear to be an easier way to change the destination port for sending SMTP, it would be nice if there were.

Regards

Chris Macneill

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:11 pm

on 3.22 you have this:
> to e-mail set server=
Server ::= Address[:Port]
  Port ::= 0..65535    (integer number)
  Address ::= A.B.C.D    (IP address)

cmacneill
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks Janisk, I hadn't thought of trying the "standard" browser method of specifying a port, that certainly simplifies things.

BobcatGuy
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:32 am

Dont know if that above fixed your problem, but you can try what I figured out a while back.... read this post of mine...

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20990

This was a simple issue of the Board Identity name having a space in it, when the space was removed, the email worked. Not sure if this is your issue, but worth a try.