Community discussions

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Single wireless card as AP and client??

Sat May 14, 2005 5:29 am

Is it possible to use station-WDS or VAP to have a single wireless card act as both a client (to some third party access-point that doesn't support WDS) and also a access-point (to connect further clients)? Unfortunately we have no control over the third party AP and where the current client is installed we are not permitted to install further antennas.

If this isn't possible via station-WDS or VAP does anyone have any other ideas?

Art
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat May 14, 2005 3:26 pm

You can use WDS and AP on this same time on one prism card, but i think better it works if u have two cards, one for wds and one for ap, then u can use transpent bridge to connect them.

That's better solution.

phendry
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat May 14, 2005 7:20 pm

I know the best solution would be to have a seperate AP and client wireless card but as I explained this is not an option. I guess my main question is will a single Atheros based card be able to connect to a none WDS AP and still be a WDS AP itself?

UniKyrn
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 15, 2005 3:11 am

If that third party AP doesn't support WDS, then station-WDS mode isn't going to help you. As best I can tell that simply allows you to use WDS while in station mode instead of you're being an AP. So you're going to need to be in station mode for the link to the other AP for a start.

Now I've never played with VAP, but from the writeup I "think" all it does is give you secondary AP's with additional SSID's and possibly additional authentication methods. The catch is that the primary interface has to be an AP, and we've already determined you need to be in station mode.

If you really have to use just a single antenna, I think you're screwed, unless you can come up with some way to share that antenna between two radios without one blowing the other up the first time it transmits. I think your better bet here is to try and negotiate for antennas.