Community discussions

MikroTik App

bradg
Topic Author

RB450G, v3.23, and Metarouter

Fri May 08, 2009 7:06 am

OK, I could use some help here, either I'm missing something, or MetaROUTER, v3.23, and a RB450G is broken.

I have a fresh RB450G that came with v3.22, and was just upgraded via the "all packages" method to v3.23. Packages gps, ipv6, mpls, multicast, ups, and wireless are disabled - all other packages are enabled.

I put in the bare minimum configuration (IP address, basically), and add a Metarouter (mr1) with interfaces. No matter what I do, mr1 cannot be enabled/started/rebooted or access the console from either Winbox or the command line. The status of mr1 in all cases never changes from "disabled".

Does someone have MetaROUTER working in v3.23 on an RB450G? Is there something specific I'm overlooking? I'd love to try it out, but right now it's got me scratching my head a bit.

Brad

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: RB450G, v3.23, and Metarouter

Fri May 08, 2009 8:26 am

i have running metarouter on RB450G

what settings did you use to set it up?
what includes your bare minimum configuration?

(i have ip address, bridge, nat, web proxy configured and enabled)

what packages exactly you are running

congo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri May 08, 2009 11:56 am

I had the same problem. E-mailed support and they upgraded to a test version of 3.24, that is unreleased. It works OK now.
MetaROUTER doesn't seem to work on RB450G with 3.23.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 08, 2009 3:39 pm

can you tell who gave you the version due to metarouter problems, or there where something else? Because i am writing you this post and Metarouter on RB450G is my webproxy with parent proxy set up.

bradg
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2009 10:58 pm

This is beginning to look a lot like a RouterOS bug.

I setup a MetaROUTER instance under v3.23 and waited (and waited and waited) for it to start - it didn't. I tried to manually enable/start it - no joy.

So, I deleted the MetaROUTER instance and downgraded my RB450G to v3.22.

Once booted into v3.22, I created a new instance and voila! It immediately went to status "running".

So, I then left the instance created under v3.22 and upgraded to v3.23.

On reboot, the remaining instance was running, and I could create new instances and they ran as well.

I now appear to be able to create/disable/delete multiple instances without any issues. In fact, now at v3.23, I can remove *all* instances and add one back and it works fine.

It appears like there is some setup or "initialization" that isn't happening on a virgin board (MetaROUTER never created under any previous version) under v3.23 that somehow doesn't allow new instances to be started. However, once the first instance gets created and run under v3.22, everything is fine.

Can someone else confirm this? I've done this with two brand new RB450G's that were just put into production today. Unfortunately I don't have another "fresh" RB450G to try this on, and I don't really have time to mess around and format the NAND and NetInstall one of the production units to wipe it clean. But, now that I've "initialized" both boards, it looks like they will behave as expected.

Brad
can you tell who gave you the version due to metarouter problems, or there where something else? Because i am writing you this post and Metarouter on RB450G is my webproxy with parent proxy set up.

congo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 09, 2009 11:57 am

It was [Ticket#2009042566000011] if this helps.
I also did not try to setup MetaROUTERs with earlier versions, I got the board with 3.21, and instantly upgraded to 3.23. It did not work on that version.