MUM Europe 2020

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

EoIP through VPN

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:15 pm

Hello, i'm struck on this problem and can't get it working properly:
I've a centralized hotspot machine with public ip address.
Some hotspots are allocated inside my own network, i just assign them a static IP then EoIP between the wlans and the hotspot machine. Works like a charm!
Some hotspots aren't in my own network but are hosted by local aDSLs.
My goal:
As the internal hotspots, i would like to transparent bridge the wlan of the remote hotspot to my centralized hotspot machine. Most of them are under NAT of their respective aDSL routers and i don't have access to them.
I tried to setup a PPTP/L2TP (i tried both) with the concentrator as server and the remote hotspot as client. The link works, i can ping and reach them with no problems. I am able to build an EoIP tunnelling too (an /ip neighbour shows all the connected machines) but the hotspot doesn't work or it's REEEEAAALLY slow. I thought it was a MTU problem but i set the PPTP to 1460 (default) and EoIP to 1450. The other EoIP to internal network are already to 1450 and they work fine.

Any better idea than L2TP?
Renato Bernardi

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: EoIP through VPN

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:49 pm

EoIP should be 1500, that's the whole point, it needs to match the MTU of your ethernet.

DSL usually has a lower MTU than cable modem or other broadband. You might need 1440 MTU on those l2tp tunnels. Also, I am not quite sure what will happen when you have a bridge with lots of ports that are different MTUs.

if using 3.x you should be able to ditch the eoip tunnel and ip addressing, just bridge the l2tp tunnel directly to the bridge using profiles. I still have random problems with this method however, but I'm not on the latest version either. The bridge code when used with ppp in earlier versions seemed flaky.
Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

Muqatil
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:30 pm

You are the man!
It was way easier than i thought...
I just set in the ppp profile the bridge and removed the ips in both ends...
and it works perfectly, fast and flawless.
Thanks changeip
Renato Bernardi

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:52 pm

what version are you on? and report back if it's not stable for more than a few days. I would like to know if I should upgrade some of them that are quirky with that setup.

Thx,
Sam
Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

dormador
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 pm

Medianet
can u export your preparation