Community discussions

murimi
just joined
Topic Author

block static ip users and allow dchp users

Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:54 am

Setup information:
RB493 as router on a vsat connection with a LAN of 25-30 users.
The link is filling up quickly and i would like to give some users more bandwidth in reference to their seniority and need .
however, I have some smart alecs trying to beat the system by giving themselves static ips.
I have found out that the users were all using a web proxy via a linux box and now that i have moved them to MT the users are on a dhcp setup. I would like to know how to do the following:
1.allow only dhcp users to access the internet and block any ip that is not issues by the dhcp server.
2. Traffic shape the dhcp users (currently i have just made the users ip static and rate limited them) is there another way?

Kind regards
LM

galaxynet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: block static ip users and allow dchp users

Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:14 pm

murimi -

There are a couple ways that come to mind - like Hotspot and Usermanager. The simplest is probably use the DHCP server and bind the MAC addresses to a particular IP address, that way whenever they are on they will always get the same IP - and if they go static on you then it should block them because of the MAC/IP conflict.

You can also rate limit by MAC address - then no matter what IP they use they are still limited. You may have to also employ the Access List and Connect List under the wireless setup to keep them from changing their MAC addresses as well.....

Just a few thoughts anyway.

R/
Thom Lawless
General Manager
RapidWiFi, LLC
thom.lawless [at] rapidwifi.com

skillful
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:01 pm

I would like to know how to do the following:
1.allow only dhcp users to access the internet and block any ip that is not issues by the dhcp server.

Kind regards
LM
1. Set arp=reply-only on the interface your customers are connecting to.

2. Set add-arp=yes for the DHCP-Server.

With these two settings, your router will ignore any client who had not obtained an IP address from the DHCP server.

drdedus
just joined

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:28 pm

Kind regards
LM

With these two settings, your router will ignore any client who had not obtained an IP address from the DHCP server.
thank you very much i enabled in one bridge i have and then i enabled in dhcp-server the "add arp for leases"

lrahman
just joined

Thu May 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Kind regards
LM

I kindly want to know the following
1) allow only dhcp users to access the internet and block any IP that is not issued by the dhcp server(Mikrotik) except
2) Few Servers contain static IP (same IP block used by DHCP) and few selected PC.