Community discussions

MikroTik App

gr0mit
Topic Author

OpenVPN on 3.28

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:44 am

dear users
frankly, I have been struggling! The past few years I have been using IP Cop with the open VPN add-on called Zerina.

I want to replace the ageing IP Cop system with a spanking new Microtik router. I have been experimenting with open VPN tunnels and it is causing me some grief!

Firstly, I currently do all the authentication using certificates, so that the tunnels come up automatically without the need for typing username and password. I have been unable to do this on the Router OS implementation of open VPN. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or is this a limitation?

Secondly, my Linux implementation of open VPN server nicely pushes out the correct route configurations to my Windows and Linux clients. I cannot find a way of doing this cleanly on Router OS.

I think at the moment, unless I am missing a trick somewhere, the current implementation has too many limits to make it a usable tunnel endpoint for windows open VPN clients.

Can anyone shed any light, or add any comments to this? I am quite willing stand corrected!

Best regards
Tim Robinson
www.txrxcomms.co.uk

gr0mit
Topic Author

Re: OpenVPN on 3.28

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:46 am

oh, and another thing. My general preference would be to use UDP for such tunnels, but it seems only TCP tunnels are supported. Is this something else that is going to be supported soon?

Rgds
Tim Robinson

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:58 am

RouterOS implementation requires username and password, even if certificates are used.
UDP and LZO is not planned in near future.

gr0mit
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:19 pm

hi

So can you please explain the implementation is so limited when compared to a standard open VPN solution on a Linux system? Surely the code is all but written for you anyway?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:27 pm

We have other UDP tunnel (L2TP). And username/password authentication is made to be the same as for other ppp tunnels.

gr0mit
Topic Author

Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:34 pm

but the problem is that L2 TP tunnels are generally used within networks. I think there is a lot of demand for an easy-to-use OpenVPN server which works nicely with Linux and Windows clients. Perhaps you should make a separate openVPN module based on the Linux implementation? I think you are missing an opportunity here.

leonset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:13 pm

+1

I would also like to see a complete and standard implementation of OpenVPN in RouterOS, at least for the most powerful routerboard models if there are limitations in memory or processing power. That would make this the all-round all-terrain device that I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance! :-)
but the problem is that L2 TP tunnels are generally used within networks. I think there is a lot of demand for an easy-to-use OpenVPN server which works nicely with Linux and Windows clients. Perhaps you should make a separate openVPN module based on the Linux implementation? I think you are missing an opportunity here.

gr0mit
Topic Author

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:48 am

there seems to have been a few responses to this thread, and I have also had one person e-mail me directly.
Please, please can you take a look at improving the VPN solutions on RB to make it more usable as a road warrior VPN server? At the moment, it isn't really a viable option, unless I have really misunderstood something.

sjur
just joined

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:35 am

I have also been struggling with OpenVPN in 3.28. It helped with version 3.30. It just didn't want to connect.
now running fine on 4.1

januszzz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:43 pm

I got some issues with VPN last days, but I've make it working perfectly. See my posts here, full examples included.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35555

Just it, works.