Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

vince76
Topic Author

HotSpot configuration

Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:43 am

hi,
I tried to configure my mikrotik appliance as a hotspot but I have a big problem.
I had two interfaces, one connected to internet and the other connected to the private lan...just before the creation of the hotspot (using the wizard) I am able to ping (inside mikrotik and using winbox) the radius server located on the private lan, after the configuration of the hotspot the ping doesn't work anymore. Why??

Configuration:
lan has 192.168.128.1/24
wan has 192.168.1.1/24
hotspot set up on lan interface with masquerading on and using the interval 192.168.128.20..40 for client

The strange thing is that If I configure the hotspot on the lan interface and I create local user (without using radius), users can access the internet. If I choose to use radius authentication user can't access the internet and between logs i see Radius server not responding....

Should I do something else? Should i use nat / firewall rules? What's missing? Why ping radius doesn't work after the hotspot configuration?

Thanks to all

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HotSpot configuration

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:02 am

Hi,

add the radius server to ip/hotspot/ ip bindings.. or put the radius in wan side.
Martín
martinruiz at ibersystems.es
Experto en redes WiFi y enlaces WiFi.

Facebook: @Ibersystems
Twitter: @Ibersystems

Certified in Traffic Shaping, Wireless, Internetworking, Routing and User Management.
MTCTCE - MTCWE - MTCINE - MTCUME - MTCRE

eneimi

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:14 am

add the radius server to ip/hotspot/ ip bindings
Yes, and also set type=bypassed.
I assume you have set the hotspot server to use radius (/ip hotspot profile set use-radius=yes),
and the correct ip and secret have been set under /radius set address=x.x.x.x secret=xxxxxx

Alternative is to put the radius server on wan side like ibersystems said, or to create a vlan interface for the radius server.

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:19 am

we are a good team.. ; )
Martín
martinruiz at ibersystems.es
Experto en redes WiFi y enlaces WiFi.

Facebook: @Ibersystems
Twitter: @Ibersystems

Certified in Traffic Shaping, Wireless, Internetworking, Routing and User Management.
MTCTCE - MTCWE - MTCINE - MTCUME - MTCRE

vince76
Topic Author

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm

YES!! you really are a good team!
Now ping works perfectly but I have another little problem.... :-(
When I try to login from the mikrotik hotspot homepage the system never recognize user id and password.
I think that mikrotik and radius are ok because if I write a wrong password for the user created on radius server between mikrotik logs I see the message "invalid username or password"; if I write the correct password for that user, between logs I see "User not found". Is there anything else than I can do?

Thanks again

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Did you put the client info in your radius server clients.conf file? The local ip client (127.0.0.1) is there by default. All others you must enter.

Also, in radiusd.conf, insure in the authenticate and accounting section that "sql" is not remarked out.

And in the users file, insure the Default Auth-Type=local, not system.

vince76
Topic Author

Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Thank you!!!
Default Auth-Type was not set to local!

Thanks again