MikroTik App

uumar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Not getting actual throughput

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:31 pm

hi

i have a 512/512kbps coming from a satellite modem and connecting to eth1 of my rb1000. i setup a graphing to monitor the traffic flow, but i discover that my client doest get the actuall bandwidth coming from the modem. i have alot of client on the rb1000 that can eat up even 2mbps. is there anything on the rb1000 that is limiting my bandwidth? i attache the graph bellow.

thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Not getting actual throughput

Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:38 pm

Max-In is showing over 500Kbps, so it's close to your maximum. Probably nobody downloaded anything at your full capacity. Try to do some speed tests from the client site, for example to speedtest.net

uumar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:15 pm

normis, the client doesnt get the full capacity if they try to download. believe even i myself tried several times to download but couldnt get the full capacity. even surfing the net is very slow.

skillful
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:33 pm

normis, the client doesnt get the full capacity if they try to download. believe even i myself tried several times to download but couldnt get the full capacity. even surfing the net is very slow.
Your graph shows the contrary. At about 1300hrs for example, you got the full bandwidth. Please be aware that most satellite bandwidth are shared and subject to contention from other subscribers. So, you cannot always max out on the advertised bandwidth. If you have not explicitly requested and paid for dedicated bandwidth, then you are on a shared platform. The contention ratio can be very high in some cases.

uumar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:45 pm

skillful

i know very well about shared and dedicated bandwidth. my connection is a dedicated point-to-point link with an L-band modem. and yes, i have requested and paid for a dedicated bandwidth. Also, if i connet my pc direct to the modem, byepassing the mt, i get full capacity. so with this, at a point, i was thinking my rb1000 is bad.

skillful
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 pm

lets see the output of
/queue simple print
and
/queue tree print

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 pm

and - are you using WebProxy?

xezen
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:21 am

you say from sat link are you in SA

and what is your share ratio on that line is it a unccaped

as i have a sat link and a fiber and i can see the diffs

make shore its not your modem link make shore you get full usage on the modem first then add other links and do more tests tests tests never killed no one