Community discussions

MikroTik App

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Broadcast traffic in routed network

Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:49 am

Is there a way to broadcast netbios traffic between two segments in routed network. Each segment is in diferent subnet, so WINS server can't do anything with that. I need to have ability for all computers to see each other in "network neighborhood" or "my network places"... Please - urgent!!! :!:

pacman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:00 pm

How about an eoip tunnel?
Loop Scorpio Ltd
providers of rural broadband

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:31 pm

How about an eoip tunnel?
? Tell me what to do with eoip tunnel? How can that help me to transport broadcast to another subnet?

pacman
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:41 pm

Basically, it sets up an ethernet tunnel over an IP network such that the networks connected at each end of the tunnel become as one (ie as if they were connected with a cable between two network switches).

To see how to set one up, look in the documentation as it is explained pretty well.
Loop Scorpio Ltd
providers of rural broadband

hitek146
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:41 pm

EoIP would work for this, but if you didn't want to bridge the network segments through the router, you might consider investigating Proxy-ARP. I'm not sure it would help in your situation, but it might....

http://www.shorewall.net/ProxyARP.htm
http://yolinux.com/MINI-HOWTO/Proxy-ARP-Subnet.html

Hitek

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Broadcast traffic in routed network

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:20 am

Is there a way to broadcast netbios traffic between two segments in routed network. Each segment is in diferent subnet, so WINS server can't do anything with that. I need to have ability for all computers to see each other in "network neighborhood" or "my network places"... Please - urgent!!! :!:
tried dst-nat'ing the broadcast address? WINS works. Tried googling for "Computer Browser Service"? Each segment must elect master browser which redistributes data to WINS. Correct netbios node type set?

tneumann

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:44 am

WINS works. [...] Each segment must elect master browser which redistributes data to WINS
Good advice, and this has already been pointed out in a related thread
(see http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=3449) . I believe his problem might
be that, as you say, each segment elects a master browser and the master browsers
talk to WINS, but this distribution of the master browsers data to WINS only works in
a domain setup (there must be a domain controller for this to work) and he seems
to be running simple workgroups on both network segments (probably even the same
workgroup name on both segments, but that alone of course wont help).

--Tom

hitek146
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:26 am

WINS works without a Primary Domain Controller, but you must manually set the master-browser status of each higher-ranked workstation in the workgroup in each of the higher-ranked workstation's and server's registries. By ranking, I mean the machines that Windows considers to be higher on the it's list of master-browser candidates, as listed in one of the Microsoft Knowledgebase articles about Network Browsing. On my network, these are my Win2K Servers....

Hitek

P.S. And then after everything is configured properly, you have to reboot all of the machines on the network to have them re-announce themselves(otherwise this would take a very long time for each to do it on it's own) on the network to the new Master-Browsers, and then let the network "settle in" for a good while to let the network sort itself out....

blue
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:34 pm

tried dst-nat'ing the broadcast address
Very interesting. I was experimenting with this, but with no results. Any idea what to dst-nat where and how?

sten
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:02 am

No idea if it will work, i havent really tested it.

Say you have 192.168.1.0/24 on ether1 and 192.168.2.0/24 on ether2.
Server is connected on ether1, desktop on ether2.

Something along the lines of :

/ ip firewall dst-nat add dst-address=192.168.2.255/32 dst-port=137 protocol=udp in-interface=ether2 action=nat to-dst-address=192.168.1.255

/ ip firewall dst-nat add dst-address=192.168.1.255/32 dst-port=137 protocol=udp in-interface=ether1 action=nat to-dst-address=192.168.2.255

Add for all necessary ports of course.
Please let me know if it works or not :)