MikroTik App

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wish: RB1000 more ports, SFP-Ports

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:44 am

Hi Mikrotik,

as Network grows and traffic increases we need some upgrades to Hardware.

We're getting Fiberequipment so we need SFP Fibermodules for Routers
We're getting more equipment so we need additional ports
And we need Gigabit

But we do not like to buy PC-Hardware for this as we need
low-power,small-size equipment for outdoor usage.
So any plans to bring a RB1x00 Board?

Regards,
Stefan

QpoX

Re: Wish: RB1000 more ports, SFP-Ports

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:33 am

Also a USB port or two...
And maybe more user leds, so it can tell if a peer is down or so.

m4rk0
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:26 pm

Heh more ETHER ports, USB ports, more LEDs, CF slots from front side & FIBER-OPTICS PORT!! would be awesome for this great 1U RouteBOARD...

Or at least modules for more ETHER / FIBER-OPTICS ports...

Maybe RB2000 :lol:

gustkiller

Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:42 am

the most important thing would be some asics for do the routing via hardware!

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:55 am

There are other vendors that make hardware the Mikrotik RouterOS can run on:
http://www.mikrotikrouter.com/

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:15 pm

There are other vendors that make hardware the Mikrotik RouterOS can run on:
http://www.mikrotikrouter.com/
Yes. But I like to use original MT-Equipment. They do not test much before release OS and
I'm sure they do not test on foreign HW. And I need small-Boards for usage in
Outdoorboxes (I would prefer DIN-Rail equipment).

Stefan

dominikh
just joined

Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Well... That sounds good. SFP ports would be quite useful :).

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:59 am

For more ports and SFPs, you could use a managed switch with the RB. You'd be limited to whatever speed link you have between the switch and the RB, but you'd get the port quantity and selection you want.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:24 am

For more ports and SFPs, you could use a managed switch with the RB. You'd be limited to whatever speed link you have between the switch and the RB, but you'd get the port quantity and selection you want.
Yes. But for this I need an additional device. And switches with extended temperature range are quite expensive.

Stefan

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:04 pm

the most important thing would be some asics for do the routing via hardware!
If I could fly for a moment:
- routing AND firewalling AND conntrack AND IPSec encryption AND VLANs AND bridge in hardware
- more Ethernet ports and possible SFP (one model 8x Ethernet only, second mixed 8+2 maybe and third 8xSFP only maybe)
- USB port for 3G modem for diagnostic purposes
- 10Gbit Ethernet support
- ATM support (after you have SFP, obviously...) so I could throw away this Redback thing

It must sustain wire speed, I can pay more for the hardware, but it has to be capable and reliable. Software too.

Example 1 - one of my customers wants soon to implement IP/TV which means 622Mbit/s stream of data, plus normal 100Mbit Internet, which they will soon upgrade to 1Gbit/s possibly.

Example 2 - other customer separated server LAN from client LAN with RB1000, it's super secure by using of firewall, what they like, it reaches almost 500Mbit/s peak, but several times they saturated RB1000's CPU by large quantity of small packets. They also want wire speed connection. I suppose they'll soon want to use 10Gbps link to servers VLAN.

I can live with 3rd party switches, but "intelligent" work has to be done by intelligent software, which I consider Mikrotik RouterOS.

thadem
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:08 pm

@chojrak11: that sounds more like jobs for ciscos or junipers, because all these things especially the wire speed won't happen as fast as you probably need them in the mikrotik-world. maybe they put one rb with sfp-ports on the market, as thats nearly no work to do, but 10gbit on routerboards and asics will definitely take a while. mikrotik is focused on soho-markets and smaller isps.

hedele

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 am

I'm currently trying to think my way around building a Mikrotik based router with two 10G interfaces, but as
far as my research goes, 10G wire-speed isn't going to happen, even with two quad-core intel core-i7 processors
with triple-channel ddr3 ram... therefore, if mikrotik is ever going to make the jump to 10G, they would have to bring some asic into place.

Also - please: If you do get an asic in the game, do NOT use slower main CPUs as trade-off.
What good is an asic based router if a large bgp convergence brings the whole device to a grinding halt (see cisco 7600 series /w Sup32)?
At least keep the current proc of the RB1000 in such a future device.

Alternatively - a RB1000 /w SFP and/or ASIC would be a nice box as well. The only thing a RB1000 really lacks right now, is packets per second.

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:52 am

@chojrak11: that sounds more like jobs for ciscos or junipers, because all these things especially the wire speed won't happen as fast as you probably need them in the mikrotik-world. maybe they put one rb with sfp-ports on the market, as thats nearly no work to do, but 10gbit on routerboards and asics will definitely take a while. mikrotik is focused on soho-markets and smaller isps.
I just daydreamed for a moment...

Seriously, I know it won't happen tomorrow, but we should say loud what we expect.

I moved my focus from Cisco to Mikrotik, as I service smaller ISPs, smaller companies and SOHOs, which can't afford Cisco, which anyway skins all its customers alive. I avoid anything but Mikrotik because it just works as expected, because its price is competitive, because it has outstanding feature set (which so far fits all needs of all my clients), and because I'm lazy, which means I don't want to learn any new crappy command line or management interface, or new software bugs. I know what to expect from MT and how to use it in a stable way.

The bad thing (joke) is that these smaller ISPs grow, becoming not-so-small ISPs, so do their expectations for their core equipment. It would be a pity to throw away Mikrotik and put Cisco in this place, because it pops up obvious question "why we didn't buy Cisco in the first place but wasted money on this?"

Mikrotik has big potential and I'm sure they'll make new devices that will be more capable. I can see the evolution from 532 boards to where we are now. Their features are amazing, so no problem here. One thing I definitely wouldn't want Mikrotik people to do is support for exotic protocols like X.25, Frame Relay, exotic routing and so on. Leave that niche for Cisco. Do what's easy, already explored, and widely used. Which is what I posted earlier (ok skip ATM if you consider it exotic for now) ;-)

@hedele: I agree - CPUs in RB1000 should never be slower, no matter how many ASICs will be there!

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:30 am

I'm currently trying to think my way around building a Mikrotik based router with two 10G interfaces, but as
far as my research goes, 10G wire-speed isn't going to happen, even with two quad-core intel core-i7 processors
with triple-channel ddr3 ram... therefore, if mikrotik is ever going to make the jump to 10G, they would have to bring some asic into place.

Also - please: If you do get an asic in the game, do NOT use slower main CPUs as trade-off.
What good is an asic based router if a large bgp convergence brings the whole device to a grinding halt (see cisco 7600 series /w Sup32)?

Alternatively - a RB1000 /w SFP and/or ASIC would be a nice box as well. The only thing a RB1000 really lacks right now, is packets per second.
I mentioned PowerRouter @ www.mikrotikrouter.com

Check them out. They are NOT official Mikrotik boards, but have all your needs covered.

QpoX

Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:26 am

I mentioned PowerRouter @ http://www.mikrotikrouter.com

Check them out. They are NOT official Mikrotik boards, but have all your needs covered.
Did you read http://www.mikrotikrouter.com/versionrec.asp ?

hedele

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:51 am

PoweRouters do not have 10G ports, and they don't have the power to actually pump 10Gbit..
Maybe the 8-core version of the 2000 series PoweRouter does, but they do not actually provide any performance figures for that - and they don't offer 10G cards.

Does anyone know which 10GbE Chipsets actually are supported by Mikrotik?
It says Intel 10GbE in the Wiki, but there are at least two different chipsets for that.

oreggin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:03 pm

PoweRouters do not have 10G ports, and they don't have the power to actually pump 10Gbit..
Maybe the 8-core version of the 2000 series PoweRouter does, but they do not actually provide any performance figures for that - and they don't offer 10G cards.

It says Intel 10GbE in the Wiki, but there are at least two different chipsets for that.
For 10GE interfaces router needs 10GE SoC or ASIC but 10G SoCs and ASICs are not to prevalent and cheap...
10GE switching and/or routing on PC architecture (PCI buses) is stupidity.

oreggin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:18 pm

For 10GE interfaces router needs 10GE SoC or ASIC but 10G SoCs and ASICs are not to prevalent and cheap...
10GE switching and/or routing on PC architecture (PCI buses) is stupidity.
I mean this etc.: Fujitsu 26x10GE switch :)

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:16 pm

The issue that you have here, is that the needs dont' outweigh the deveopment costs of such of units. MikroTik has said this a numbger of times. I expect to see a many port version of the 1000, but I doubt that you will see a huge CPU unit like the PowerRouters. Also, note that we currently have 2242s that can be speical ordered with up to 20 SFP ports! :) If you are looking for GigE Wirespeed routing, then its there, its inexpesive, and well tested, the 732 has been tested over 15 Million usage hours! These are acutal deployments. We have 4 year old 732s that are still running just fine and have little to no downtime!

So, with that said, there are lots of options, just not in the arena that you are looking for. We do have units running 600-800 meg IPTV and internet options in communities as well. You can do bonding to get plus 1gig BW that does work quite well.

chojrak11
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:27 am

The issue that you have here, is that the needs dont' outweigh the deveopment costs of such of units. MikroTik has said this a numbger of times.
This makes sense to me. So they focus on simpler devices. But I expect they'll finally have to enter high-end market. It may be 5 year timeframe, but it'll eventually happen.

Personally I haven't tested PowerRouter yet, but I have bad experience with other x86-based platforms - for example Advantech so called "Firewall Platform". It was unstable with RouterOS and 3 of 4 devices failed, last of which no more than 18 months after purchase. Besides it costed TWICE as much as RB1000. I replaced them with a bunch of RB1000 and it works like a charm.

To me it doesn't matter who brings hardware, as long as RouterOS works flawlessly on it. It may be PowerRouter or anything, I just need it to be stable and efficient, being at the same time cheaper than well-known names (otherwise it's hard to convince Big Boys to buy it). And I need Mikrotikls people to certify that hardware, so they know it works. This last thing matters equally much.

Thanks.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Certification really don't make it solid. Only testing, knowledgable Mikoritk Engineers, and acutal production usage. WE have been developing on the PowerRouter 732 platform for almost 4 years now! People ask why don't you put a newer processor than a 3.0 gig Dual Core, simple, reliability, the system gets much hotter, MUCH, so hence the reliability is not there. We don't put in $15 buck power supplies, we put in ones that cost maybe $135 bucks or more, cause we want the Power Supply not to be the part that fails! And guess what, over the thousands that are out there, only 2 Power Supplies have been an issue! Not a bad rate at all!

Typically it costs less to support a name brand product.

hedele

Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:20 pm

I mean this etc.: Fujitsu 26x10GE switch :)
I never said it MUST be PC architecture (be it pci express 2.0, or whatever), I would also be happy with any Routerboard that could push some more Packets per second or 10GbE :)

@gmsmstr: Do you have any throughput results for the PoweRouter series in regards of Packets per second? Currently we are reluctant to use e.g. RB1000 for Gigabit upstreams, because they easily break down in DDoS Events (only ~200k pps - even older 12000 series ciscos with 700k pps do not usually survive some of the DDoS attacks which arrive). So anything less than 1M pps wouldn't help.

butche
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:51 am

I mentioned PowerRouter @ http://www.mikrotikrouter.com

If you wish to purchase that hardware, why pay that price? http://store.wispgear.net/Complete-Syst ... _info.html Same motherboard, better cpu, lower price. :-)

DCC
just joined

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:57 pm

There are now a multiport 10G solution available with up to 24 SFP ports, a quad core 8 port 10/100/1000, as well as a 4 port 10/100/1000 and 4 port SFP mikrotik router available. These are just finishing R&D and should be ready for purchase in 60 days.

Jake Brown

blake

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 am

There are now a multiport 10G solution available with up to 24 SFP ports, a quad core 8 port 10/100/1000, as well as a 4 port 10/100/1000 and 4 port SFP mikrotik router available. These are just finishing R&D and should be ready for purchase in 60 days.
What company is developing this?

For what its worth, I too can offer the same hardware as the PowerRouter 732 & 2200's at a lower price than Link Tech. :)