Community discussions

MikroTik App

mhosts
Topic Author

New Hardware to run ROS Questions

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:12 pm

I've spec'd out this hardware from NewEgg and I'm just wondering if anyone has any experiences or known issues of trying to run ROS on this system:

It will also have the 4 port gigabit PCI Card from supermicro.

mhosts
Topic Author

Re: New Hardware to run ROS Questions

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:17 pm

bump

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:53 pm

I would personally stick with what is on the HCL. There are many factors when building your own system, and you never know if there is going to be an incompatability. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... 86_Systems is where you want to look.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Go for it, then let's get it added to the HCL. Nothing is going to get added to the HCL without users testing things. It's not like Mikrotik goes out and buys this stuff and tests it themselves.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28184

If the SuperMicro NICs aren't Intel chipset then I wouldn't use it. Also, if you really meant PCI, do yourself a favor and get PCI-e. The URL above shows a system I built for under $600 and is more powerful than most people need. Now if MT would get RouterOS a little more SMP friendly it would be nice.

Sam

mhosts
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:07 pm

I would personally stick with what is on the HCL. There are many factors when building your own system, and you never know if there is going to be an incompatability. http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supported ... 86_Systems is where you want to look.
I've been looking at that but a lot of the models on that list are old and impossible to find... I wouldn't mind the older hardware but I just can't find a lot of those items.

I'm ether going to purchase the RB1000 or go this route. I love the fact that I can beef up the ram and run a dual core for less $$. Ideally I'd love the hardware on the pic in your avatar but it's a bit out of my price range!

mhosts
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 pm

Go for it, then let's get it added to the HCL. Nothing is going to get added to the HCL without users testing things. It's not like Mikrotik goes out and buys this stuff and tests it themselves.

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28184

If the SuperMicro NICs aren't Intel chipset then I wouldn't use it. Also, if you really meant PCI, do yourself a favor and get PCI-e. The URL above shows a system I built for under $600 and is more powerful than most people need. Now if MT would get RouterOS a little more SMP friendly it would be nice.

Sam
Thanks for that info! I've been looking at your build but that motherboard is no longer available in Canada :-( I could always order it from amazon but it's PITA.

I just don't want to be buying twice if something doesn't work.

I agree with the NIC statement you made... I could always buy the 4 port gigabit NIC made by mikrotik... I'm sure that will fit.

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:20 pm

Just remember, there quite abit more to getting a high-preformance RouterOS system than just slap some NICs in a PC and it will do GigE routing. IRQs, buss limitiations, etc all have to be taken into account!

mhosts
Topic Author

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Just remember, there quite abit more to getting a high-preformance RouterOS system than just slap some NICs in a PC and it will do GigE routing. IRQs, buss limitiations, etc all have to be taken into account!
True! with that being said though... I won't be routing in the gbps in the near future... Lucky if I can sustain 50mbps upstream :wink: