Community discussions

MikroTik App

Myron
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CLIENT ISOLATION

Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:36 am

helo to all mik guru, i have my hotspot working fine without any problem but my concern is the hotpot has CLIENT ISOLATION features? everytime i connected to hotspot the other hotspot user(client) shows computer name and how to stop and block this kind of issue?

thanks thanks

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CLIENT ISOLATION

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:45 am

The way Hotspots work that - usually - cannot be done on the router. Hotspots run on a network gateway interface. Traffic between clients never flows through the router, so the router cannot block it. This is a feature you'd implement at the switch or AP level.

You _could_ make a whole lot of /30 networks, bridge them, run the Hotspot on the bridge and use the bridge or IP firewall (applied to the bridge) to block traffic between clients. But that doesn't scale well at all and is pretty much just a theoretical possibility.

Myron
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:17 am

The way Hotspots work that - usually - cannot be done on the router. Hotspots run on a network gateway interface. Traffic between clients never flows through the router, so the router cannot block it. This is a feature you'd implement at the switch or AP level.

You _could_ make a whole lot of /30 networks, bridge them, run the Hotspot on the bridge and use the bridge or IP firewall (applied to the bridge) to block traffic between clients. But that doesn't scale well at all and is pretty much just a theoretical possibility.
thanks for your response, i have my another option is to use the client isolation in my AP im using ubi nanostation act as wifi access here in resort.

salamat fewi

drflash
just joined

Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:45 am

Can you force the netmask of the clients to be 255.255.255.255. That should only allow the clients to talk to the router.

I've seen this used in DSL configurations to keep clients isolated.