MikroTik App

hotspotsolutions
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PPPoE Client Problem in 2.9rc6

Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:27 am

Hi Guys,

Ok I have setup a PPPoE Client to connect to my ADSL provider. It connects fine, and I can ping and get on the web ok too.

in 2.8, I created a mangle rule to derease the TCP-MSS so their was no packet fragmentation.

In 2.9, I see you can set it directly in the pppoe-client setup. So I have set them both (mtu,mru) to 1400, which is what my mangle was last time, but I cannot get on any SSL sites.

When I monitor the PPPoE Client, it states my mtu is 1400, but my mru is 1500, even though I have changed this value.

Is this a bug?

If so, can I set a mangle rule to correct this, if so what would be the correct syntax?

I have tried:
/ip firewall mangle add protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn,!ack action=passthrough new-mss=1440 chain=forward
which was in a previous post, but it does not work? Also when printing that mangle rule in terminal, the new-mss does not even show up? There is also no option for new-mss in Winbox that I can find?

I just need to get this sorted and I have everything running I need!

Your help is appreciated

hotspotsolutions
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

??

Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:17 am

so nobody is connecting to their mikrotik with a DSL line then?

hotspotsolutions
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

yeah!

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:51 pm

in case anyonesinterested, this is what I put in to get it to work:
/ip firewall mangle add out-interface=ADSL action=change-mss new-mss=1400 chain=forward protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:20 pm

Are you using an ADSL card in the router (didn't think there was one supported) or an external ADSL/ethernet modem?

I have an MT router running as a wireless AP behind a Netgear ADSL router, with the ethernet ports interconnected, same config on 2 sites (home).
No need to change settings - but then the Netgear is doing all the connection to the ISP. Interested to hear what you have running.

Regards

hotspotsolutions
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:25 pm

Hi,

I have a Netgear ADSL ethernet modem in bridge mode, and the mikrotik handling the pppoe authentication.

I have the modem going into one network port, and the other port has a dlink 2100ap connected to it, and thats our hotspot side.

We use the mikrotik for pppoe authentication as we have dynamic IP's and we need to update changeip with our new Ip when they change.

I wrote a new script for changeip based on the fact that its supported under the tools menu, and works great.

stephenpatrick
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:37 pm

I use Netgear DG834 as an ADSL router, that's really good product.
Guess you are using DG632 or something like that in modem mode.

Any reason you don't use the wireless in MT for Hotspot?
I use my MT boxes at home as a wireless AP, but not running hotspot.
Have not used Hotspot personally, it looks interesting and would be interested to know any limitations ...

Regards

hotspotsolutions
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:57 pm

yeah we use a DG632. put that straight into bridge and your away.

We have never used a card directly in mikrotik, the 400ma cards that are available now seem like they are worth investigating.

The other reason is we use WDS built into the 2100AP's with good results, and that means we use anywher from 2-12 APS using WDS, ands its just easier to use all the same gear and it works bettter

AS for hotspot, we love it. We have 5 seperate hotspots runing at the moment, and whilst we have had to write alot of software to work with it for billing, accounting, user creation etc is works a treat.

At one location we have had about 25000 intrusion attempts, all unsucessfuly, from a very persistant person!

As for limitations, for us it really comes down to integrating with what you want to do. I had to write software to add users to mikrotik via SSH programmatically when users sign up for hotspot, we also utilize a radius server for some installations.

We dont do too much complicated stuff with MT or the hotspot features but we have had great sucess with it.