Community discussions

MikroTik App

Roddy
just joined
Topic Author

Queue precedence

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:35 pm

What is the queue priority, who is the first in execute.

By example, if i have two queue filtering pop3, one in simple and another in tree, what is executed ?, simple or tree ?

-Roddy

maximan
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:38 pm

on simple queue you can queue IPs and on tree you can queue flow

Roddy
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:47 pm

on simple queue you can queue IPs and on tree you can queue flow
And, if i have a ip: 10.0.0.1 limited with xx Kb/s in sinlge, and another filter in tree limiting pop3 flow (and the same ip) with yy Kb/s. What queue is executed ?

-Roddy

lastguru

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:07 pm

It depends...
In the same interface, rules put in tree queue are applied first. simple queues are always put in global-in ("direct queue") and global-out ("reverse queue"). that mean that if you put tree queues in queue tree, it is going to be executed first. in other places, both queues are executed simultaneously, i.e., that with minimal limit out of all put on the same traffic will define speed. there might be applications where it is goot to have simultaneous execution. see more details in the 2.9 manual.

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:04 pm

lastugur, it seems you are very familiar qith this, so could you elaboreate in bit more detail?

I have similar problem, I use simple queues to limit users, not for it's simplicity but because that is the only way I found to be able to monitor how much of bandwidth is used by each client (i run public noncommercial net, so i have to monitor i someone abuses free internet access).

Now, I want to limit all p2p traffic for each user for quite low value (i.e simple queue allwos user to go up to 64kbps donwload, but I want to limit that he cannot use p2p to more than 20kbps)

There is also another question. I have 256kbps link which I use for my own purpose but also give away to other users for free. Well, I would like to limit other users not to exceed more that 128kbps alltogether, but want to keep simple queue rules for hem to be able to see how much each of them uses link.

I did lot of reading, both manual and posts here, and i did not manage to get anything even close.

I run MT 2.8