Community discussions

MikroTik App

AJStevens
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Winbox "freezes" sort of

Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Thought I'd report a problem I occasionally have in winbox, in case anyone else has experienced it, and maybe log it as a bug?

Not always, but every now and then, when opening an existing Firewall rule to edit, I find it no longer responds to mouse clicks, and appears semi-frozen. It's quite frustrating.

I discovered a work around to be:

1. Minimise Winbox.
2. Unminimise Winbox.
3. Close the rule I had opened by the "X" (nothing else works).
4. Reopen the rule I was trying to edit, it will now let me edit it.

As I said, doesn't happen every time, but when you're doing a lot of configuration, trial and error... it can happen alot.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Winbox "freezes" sort of

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:04 pm

huh, I thought, it's my hallucinations %)

itchibahn

Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:08 am

I had similar problem that you described with other programs not necessarily the winbox. The problem was within Windows itself. Wiped and reloaded WIndows, and never had that problem again.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:51 am

i know what you mean, ive had the same problem. it is winbox. if you minimize or close the window your on and go back its okay. hard to explain thats for sure.

AJStevens
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:15 pm

itchibahn, interesting, but I've not experienced this in any other application, and it happens on multiple Windows computers that I winbox from.

changeip, ok, thanks, so I'm not the only one then at least.

AJStevens
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:48 pm

Hope I don't get shot for bringing up an old topic, but just wanted to say I've not experienced this in quite sometime, probably since the new winbox icon version.

Hopefully no one still suffers this.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:51 pm

no,this is related to you using the MAC address to connect. Use IP and there will be no freezes.

congo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:07 am

I also experienced this symptom, when being connected by IP, not MAC, with the newest Winbox. It happens mostly when copying firewall rules. Even the closing of the copied firewall rule doesn't work, the X in the corner is not clickable. Changing to another running app and back to winbox makes the X clickable, but no other boxes are editable until closing the firewall rule and opening it again.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:12 am

hmmm never seen this. try from the same winbox to another router, or from another PC to the same router. see if the problem is in the router, or in the PC.

congo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:36 am

I had this issue from several computers, and with several routers. IMHO it is a problem with winbox. I cannot reproduce it on purpose though, seems to be completely random, but every now and then when copying lots of firewall/nat/mangle rules, I bump into this.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:50 am

how do you copy them, please describe the process so we can try to repeat it

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:54 am

I've had winbox freeze while removing large address lists (2000+ entries), and after a few mins it sometimes comes back. If not, it usually takes few minutes to reconnect and log back in.

congo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:19 am

Double click on the firewall rule, then click the Copy button. Make some adjustments in the new rule and click OK. When the problem appears, the new rule is not editable after clicking Copy. Also I have to add, there are not too many firewall rules on our routers, on average 10-20. So it's probably not about the size.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 am

Double click on the firewall rule, then click the Copy button. Make some adjustments in the new rule and click OK. When the problem appears, the new rule is not editable after clicking Copy. Also I have to add, there are not too many firewall rules on our routers, on average 10-20. So it's probably not about the size.
I've had this same exact issue as well. If I copy a rule, and can't click Ok, I press ESC, copy the rule again, and it seems to work the 2nd time.

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:20 pm

yes you need to press ESC to make it work when it freezes. Happens here too...

Inssomniak

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Ya Ive seen this several times, even running winbox under wine, or on windows. Always connected with IP address at the time.

Seems to only come up after using it for a while or doing lots of configuration changes under the same session.

akosenko

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:18 pm

exact same problem, so far failed to solve it

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:42 pm

i took a video of this problem a while back, i will see if i can find it. it happens rarely so i just put winbox in the background and move a few things around until it lets me use it again. its more of a MDI interface problem in winbox, nothing to do with the actual communication to the router or anything else.

goobles
just joined

Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:17 pm

I have had this issue.

It seems the cursor gets stuck into the top panel. ( With no way to exit it )

All you do to resolve the issue is press "enter" which will close the pane.

Then just re-open it.

elliotd123
just joined

Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Is there a resolution for this issue yet?

I run into this pretty frequently. I have only ever seen it when copying firewall rules, and it appears to be an issue with Winbox, as the routerOS version doesn't seem to matter, and the router continues to function properly throughout.

Sometimes closing the copied rule window and re-copying fixes the issue, but other times I have to generate new rules from scratch because I simply can't copy old rules without winbox freezing.