Community discussions

MikroTik App

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Disk crasher - backup file invalid

Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:03 pm

Disk crashed on my MT router. It became unreadable.

I have last configuration backup, but, when i tried to load it on freshly installed MT (same version, same configuration, just disk replaced), MT reported that backup file is invalid, too short.

When I open file in hex editor its structure looks fine to me (compared to backup from otjer MT). Is there a way for me to convert backup file to some human readable form to see the configuration and set my router manually?

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:06 pm

That is why I make a /export backup as well as a normal backup ... I've had a corrupted backup file once before also ... not sure there is much you can do to recover it.

Sam

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:30 pm

I would do it if I knew that regular backup is not reliable. I do expect taht this is just ustom binaty format and there is a way to read values back. I guess it is closed format. I do not understand why it is binary at all, when it is not secured enyway (all paswords are easy visible with any hex editor).

buy the way how do you save /export? All I could get is result printed in console and then copy&pasted to file...

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:32 pm

/export file config

/tool e-mail send to="YOUREMAIL@DOMAIN.TLD" from="mikro@YOURDOMAIN.TLD" subject=([/system identity get name] . " backup") file=config.rsc server=IPOFYOURMAILSERVER

pedja
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:48 pm

Good advice thanks. This looks like an good candidate for soem script for regular backups...

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:43 pm

I schedule it to run every few days since we don't make many changes ... this way you have a copy on your local machine as well as on the router itself.

Sam

Wyoming
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:43 am

When I first started backing up our Mikrotiks I was just backing up them up and then ftping the file off to another server. When I ftped the backup back onto the Mikrotik it would give me the file to short error. I modified my script to use ftp in binary mode for the transport and I used binary mode ftp to upload the file again and then it worked with out any errors. I have only really tested this once and it worked then so I am not sure this is the fix but it did work for me.