MUM Europe 2020

hytanium
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Broadcast traffic?? Can't figure out.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:34 am

Hello,

We are seeing traffic on our AP which is TX broadcast across every client on our AP's. Ever few seconds we see traffic fron 1000bps to 100k, it varies. We are running a bridged configuration with 2 vlans to each mikrotik client. No stp/rtp. I have run torch and don't see any unusual traffic on the vlans that may be causing the problem. Any ideas??

I think other people have posted in the past about this, but I was unable to find information.
Thanks in advance!

astounding
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Broadcast traffic?? Can't figure out.

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:52 am

You'll need to look at the actual traffic (capture some packets) I'm betting. All sorts of valid broadcast traffic could be part of it (much which you could likely filter/block without any problems) in addition to any invalid broadcast traffic. For example, if you've got PPPoE clients anywhere, PADI packets are sent to the ethernet broadcast MAC FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF... And DHCPDISCOVER packets... Various ARP packets, etc. All it takes is one very talkative broadcaster to flood your net.

I hope you're able to track down and identify the traffic in question (protocol and source). Good luck!

Aaron out.