MikroTik App

brotherdust
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Suggestion: Better handling of large route tables

Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:07 am

Hello!
Sometimes I have to do some route debugging. My route table can get close to 600,000 routes. I can't do any detailed searches (other than just prefix) on that table until it's downloaded completely into winbox. I can't download the table into winbox because it's too big and causes winbox to crash and also (sometimes) my router to crash or have too much cpu usage.

I try using the console for searching purposes but it takes a really long time and again uses too much resources to be useful.

There has to be a better way. My suggestion?

Find a faster, more efficient way to load all those routes into winbox. That way it keeps the search processing on the client and doesn't trouble the router much.

How important is this feature? Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most important, 8. I'm tired of crashing!

maxrate
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Suggestion: Better handling of large route tables

Thu May 06, 2010 4:09 am

I tend to agree. I have too many routes to display and the CPU utilization climbs and winbox/router hangs. Also, I find searching for routes sometimes renders no results although the routes are there. Frustrating.
Hello!
Sometimes I have to do some route debugging. My route table can get close to 600,000 routes. I can't do any detailed searches (other than just prefix) on that table until it's downloaded completely into winbox. I can't download the table into winbox because it's too big and causes winbox to crash and also (sometimes) my router to crash or have too much cpu usage.

I try using the console for searching purposes but it takes a really long time and again uses too much resources to be useful.

There has to be a better way. My suggestion?

Find a faster, more efficient way to load all those routes into winbox. That way it keeps the search processing on the client and doesn't trouble the router much.

How important is this feature? Scale of 1 to 10, 10 being most important, 8. I'm tired of crashing!

synologic

Re: Suggestion: Better handling of large route tables

Tue May 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi,

this has been a plague for mikrotik for sometime, this is a severe issue for those of us using tier one providers (i dont want to get into the equipment supplier issue right now lol).
I have 2 Tier 1 providers and several peering partners, routing table is going up nearly 800k prefixes so its extremely hard to even figure out what subnet i'm receiving from a customer that announces a few prefixes. Of course this is manageable via filters and such, but that's not the point.

I strongly support a redesign of the route management in Mikrotik, however, im not sure if this will go unheard or not.

To resolve this problem, i have setup quagga as a route-reflector client, and set the peer parameters in Mikrotik to Nexthop Choice: Propagate so i get the actual nexthop as seen by the router, however you loose the ease of quickly finding out what a peer announces and such.

Regards