MUM Europe 2020

kostil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

QoS vs Bandwidth PCQ

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:17 pm

hi.
I have migrate from simple queue to queue tree in my mikrotik NAS for my PPPoE clients. The most part of my clients has gray ips like 10.0.0.0/8 and using NAT to reach the Internet. I'm using scheme which was described in Janis Megis QoS Best Practice pdf and his presentation.

1. Add clients in address lists like 3Mbit 5Mbit 10Mbit and so forth using radius.
2. Mark client's packets in mangle forward with speed marks
/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-packet chain=forward comment="" connection-mark=4Mbit_up disabled=no new-packet-mark=4Mbit_up passthrough=yes
add action=mark-connection chain=forward comment="Mark 5Mbit connections and packets download" disabled=no dst-address-list=5Mbit new-connection-mark=5Mbit_down \
    passthrough=yes src-address-list=!rialcom
add action=mark-packet chain=forward comment="" connection-mark=5Mbit_down disabled=no new-packet-mark=5Mbit_down passthrough=yes
add action=mark-connection chain=forward comment="Mark 5Mbit connections and packets upload" disabled=no dst-address-list=!rialcom new-connection-mark=5Mbit_up \
    passthrough=yes src-address-list=5Mbit
3. make queue tree with pcq for this marks
/queue tree
add burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=no limit-at=0 max-limit=0 name=Download parent=global-out priority=1
add burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=no limit-at=0 max-limit=0 name=5Mbit_down packet-mark=5Mbit_down parent=Download priority=8 queue=pcq_5Mbit_down
add burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=no limit-at=0 max-limit=0 name=Upload parent=global-out priority=1
add burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s disabled=no limit-at=0 max-limit=0 name=5Mbit_up packet-mark=5Mbit_up parent=Upload priority=8 queue=pcq_5Mbit_up
add kind=pcq name=pcq_5Mbit_down pcq-classifier=dst-address pcq-limit=40 pcq-rate=5000000 pcq-total-limit=20000
add kind=pcq name=pcq_5Mbit_up pcq-classifier=src-address pcq-limit=40 pcq-rate=5000000 pcq-total-limit=20000
This scheme is work, but it's still use cpu same as simple queue.
Now I need to colour the traffic with QoS.
There is no examples how to do this in Janis presentation, just a few slides and a few words. I've been searching in google, mikrotik wiki, mikrotik forum for some example but nothing :(

I trying to make QoS in prerouting and global-in like Janis described it on his presentation but on global out priorities overwrite by speed limit queues in queue tree.

Is anyone have an example of using queue tree with PCQ and with QoS on same time? Maybe any ideas how to make this scheme?

kostil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: QoS vs Bandwidth PCQ

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:56 am

where is mikrotik support?

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:27 pm

MikroTik support is at support@mikrotik.com, at the MUM and at weekends

and I'm still smoking those question... I still can't see the way of 'PCQ + QoS per user'...
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

kostil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:08 pm

MikroTik support is at support@mikrotik.com, at the MUM and at weekends
I was sent this question on support@mikrotik.com at 24th february. Waiting the answer.....

Chpaka с тобой мы можем и по русски общаться?:)

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:49 am

anyway, forum language is English =)

afaics, follow Janis' presentation. maybe I'll take some teste after the MUM, but for now it's very good solution
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

juandiaz
just joined

Sat May 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi, I implemented this system QoS and I work great with the tree queue and the PCQ to control the speed of the clients, but to enable web.proxy speed ceases to function, each user is consuming the entire channel, someone has solved this problem?

Pada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun May 15, 2011 2:14 am

Hi, I implemented this system QoS and I work great with the tree queue and the PCQ to control the speed of the clients, but to enable web.proxy speed ceases to function, each user is consuming the entire channel, someone has solved this problem?
I think you'll have to get a second router if you want to run a (transparent) proxy server with QoS per client.

I'm also sitting with the problem that as soon as I use the transparent web proxy that my route markings are pretty much obsolete. I have considered getting a second router, but I'm not really keen on paying for another license just to be able to run a transparent proxy server and use route markings :(

Perhaps one can let the traffic pass twice through the same MikroTik router, which should allow you to do exactly what I wanted to do above with 2 routers, but I just haven't thought of this before ;)

I have attached an image of how I think one can get around this issue, but I'm not sure if "Option 1"(Single Router) is possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 16, 2011 9:24 pm

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Packet_Flow#Diagram

It's not so much of a problem as a change in the packet flow you need to take into account and make adjustments for in your configuration. By enabling the built in proxy of the router, transparent or not, you are changing the firewall chain of that traffic. You are basically moving everything from forward to input/output since the router is now making and servicing all of those requests to to the internet and the client. (This is all assuming you are using the built in proxy of the MikroTik and not a dedicated proxy server.)

So in order to apply QoS and limits to traffic you are going to have to move your mangle rules to the appropriate chains and play with them there. However messing with the input/output chain in mangle can be very messy and you will want to be VERY careful with how you do it and making sure your rules only match what you want them to and nothing more. It will require a lot of playing around on your part to get things tuned to where you are happy with them.