Community discussions

MikroTik App

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

4.6 and virtual AP. Problems in Winbox.

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:23 am

AP in my office running 4.5. Upgraded it to 4.6 (successfully, finally). In winbox only, if I double-click on a virtual-AP to see status, or change settings, winbox gets a runtime error and bombs out. Via SSH, I can see and set properties on it.

RB433AH w/ R2N card.

Worked before 4.6. Not after 4.6.

EDIT: I can winbox in and mess with any other option I have tried, but it just gets a Visual C++ runtime error when I double-click on a virtualap. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, visual C++ SP1. Tried running it in compatibility mode, same thing. Must be a bug in 4.6 winbox DLLs.

rgraham
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: 4.6 and virtual AP. Problems in Winbox.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm running Windows 7 and I have the same thing going on. Everything seems to be working in Winbox except viewing Virtual AP settings under Wireless Tables.
Randy

staack
just joined

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 pm

I am experiencing the same problem with VirtualAP and WinBox using Windows 7 32bit.

dsobin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:17 am

I get the same WinBox crash running Windows XP. I also notice that a WinBox VirtualAP displays a "Mode" of "station". Under earlier versions of ROS, VirtualAP devices display a mode of blank.

If I was WinBox, I would be confused by an AP, even a virtual one, having a mode of station.

I can set values in the VirtualAP using the console with no problem. Only WinBox has a problem.

ROS 4.6, FW 2.25, WinBox v2.2.15, RB433AH, Windows XP Home SP3.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:50 am

I also notice that a WinBox VirtualAP displays a "Mode" of "station". Under earlier versions of ROS, VirtualAP devices display a mode of blank.

I noticed the same thing.

dsobin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:19 am

Has anyone sent a bug report to MikroTik yet?

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:20 am

yes, bug is reported.

sdragger
just joined

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:47 am

same problem here with 4.6. i also noticed that once the winbox closing occurs the virtual ap is no longer indented under the master interface in the wireless interface list.

ZoemDoef
just joined

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Still crashing on 4.7...... WTF

dsobin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Since I didn't see this bug mentioned in the release notes, I had a feeling it wasn't going to be fixed in 4.7. That's disappointing. We use virtual AP's a lot, and it's annoying to have to configure it via terminal window vs WinBox. I guess more important bugs needed to be fixed.

dssmiktik
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:33 pm

I am requesting other users of Mikrotik to work with me and help create a user-driven bug tracking system. It seems there is a big miss communication and user expectation about how bugs are/should be prioritized. While not every single bug may be fixed in a point-1 version increment, I strongly suggest a bug-prioritization solution, contributed by the users of Mikrotik RouterOS.

Basically, this system would allow users to file bugs on a public space (Wiki / bug-tracker software).
Other users could rank up/down a particular bug.
As users see a bug has been fixed, they would move the bug status from Pending to Fixed (something like that).
Sub-categories like dhcp, interface->wireless, ospf, etc... could be easily selected by a drop down (or created if none exists yet).
It would allow tracking of pending bugs throughout the releases.
It would also allow tracking of introduced bugs in a specific version easily, as everyone often can't upgrade as soon as a new release is available.
If a feature request is submitted, it would be moved to the Feature Requests Wiki page.
This would be totally user-driven, meaning we all would monitor each other, watching for duplicate bugs and such.

I submitted a request about /user active status to show "via api" when users connected using the API service. This was fixed in v4.7 (thank you Mikrotik). However, I would have liked to see more serious bugs fixed like VirtualAP crashing, (possibly others?). Also, while these forums are a good place for discussion, it's often very difficult to find the current status of a specific RouterOS version in regards to bugs, features, and other oddities. The changelog reported by Mikrotik is great, but helps only for things that get fixed. I'd like to be able to see the current status of all user-submitted bugs. This would help a great deal when configuring something new, or wondering why a specific something isn't working right.

I've requested this before to the community, but haven't heard enough response. This would require some collaborating, and working out the best approach by more than one user. If anyone is interested, please post back here, and I will post further contact instructions. If Mikrotik staff could comment on this, that would be great as well.

This is just my opinion, as I've been using RouterOS for some years now, and think this would help a great deal.

Thank You,

duvi
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:08 pm

I don't get it...
This is a very easily reproduceable bug, present on every platform, even mikrotik has confirmed it several times, and no fix was made in 2 months... it can't be that hard do find what causes it, if it was not present in v4.5.

void
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:25 am

MT Guys, come on, still this bug in 4.7 ??? Unbelievable...

ilius168
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 am

ROS v4.7 VAP interface still buggy..... waiting for fixes in v4.8....

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:14 pm

yes, VirtualAP have to be managed through CLI.