Community discussions

MikroTik App

extensis
just joined
Topic Author

Anyone interested in log2report software for Windows?

Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:42 pm

So here's the thing:
I've installed a routerboard in my company, set up transparent proxy server, activated proxy logging to remote machine and i wanted some software which will give me a report that shows following: certain user's sites visited within wanted period (day, days or months) which then are grouped by time visited.

I tried to use Proxylizer through vmware, but it just wouldn't work. I browsed web for that kind of software which supports syslog or mikrotik logs, but couldn't find any - so i wrote my own program. It uses sqlite as a database, written in lua, has nice simple GUI so that even dumbasses could use it and it generates html reports which then can be saved as html, excel files or be printed directly to desired printer.

There are few things missing for now:
1. croatian language is used in gui
2. doesn't support mikrotik syslog (i can easily fix that) - cause i used kiwi syslog deamon and custom-designed logging format (default syslog messages doesn't show year - which is in my case very important)
3. i don't have screenshots at this moment with me (sorry guys, will post them tomorrow).

If you guys are interested, i will fix few of those "missing links" to bring you fair program for this usage.

Since i'm not a programmer at al, please don't make any whishlist, it took me 2 weeks to build this version.

Thank you.

extensis
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Anyone interested in log2report software for Windows?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:37 am

1. Reading logs screen:

2. Writting to database progress screen:

3. IP alias editing screen (IP address to person's name):

4. Date range selection (main screen):

5. Generated report viewer:

pd

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:08 am

Your programm seems perfect for my needs
Can you send it over to me?

I guess I will have serious problem with the language but I hope I will be able to find my way

Thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Very cool, let us know when you have english interface and RouterOS syslog support!

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Some report generation and email would be interesting to see as well

extensis
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Sorry for this delay...
My mum died so i haven't spent any time around PC.

I will continue my work in a week or so. Till then, hope you understand.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:08 am

I'm really sorry :(

Condolences

extensis
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:48 pm

Hello again. Thank you for condolences. She was a very good person.

Bit by bit I've made some changes to WebProxy Log.

So far I have:
  • - translated the program to English (actually you can choose between English and Croatian)
    - added filters (forbidden sites, allowed sites, exclusion by site name) to report generation
    - for IP alias list have added export, import, import from database options
    - fixed few bugs
Currently I'm:
  • - writing help files
I haven't made any changes to log format support. There's a serious problem since default RouterOS log message contains no date and time. WebProxy Log requires date and time to be present in log file. I sincerely hope there's a way to add a date and time with no extra software.

Required configuration:
  • - Set up RouterOS so it sends web-proxy log to a remote machine
    - Set up some syslog daemon in order to capture sent log messages (i use KiWi Syslog Daemon for now).
    - Configure log format: so it shows following data in exact order: MESSAGE (from router), DATE (ISO format), TIME (HH:MM). Example (copied-pasted it from one of my logs):
    web-proxy,account proxy: 192.168.0.161 GET http://downloads.comodo.com/versioninfo.ini  action=deny 2010-03-28 00:48
    [/size]
Known limits:
  • - If log file is larger than 10 MB it cannot be read, I will add automatic file splitting support (for now I've configured my KiWi Syslog Daemon to automatically move log files to other location on daily-basis - That way I have a log file for every day which is not that large. One day log in my company is large around 8 MB.
If you'd like to test it, join the WebProxy Log group at: http://groups.google.com/group/webproxy-log. I've decided to post news and discussions there.

One other thing: WebProxy log is a free software, I'm not planning to sell it.

donmirko
just joined

Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi,

Software is great.

I just setup Kiwi SysLog server to collect data form MT router, and all working fine. My problem is with collecting data in WebProxy Log or Catcher.

When I setup WebProxy Log Catcher a get message " Colud not start. Reconfigure your IP and UPD port settings and start this program again. I try with address of MT router or local machine where I collect data with Kiwi, but the message is same. When I try to start WebProxy Log program just freeze on fetching data.

Please help.

mandrade
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Great software.... one suggestion : think in a way to give us an method to translate it to other languages, for example lang files... i can translate it from english to Brazilian Portuguese for example... ;)

BR

Mauricio

extensis
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Great software.... one suggestion : think in a way to give us an method to translate it to other languages, for example lang files... i can translate it from english to Brazilian Portuguese for example... ;)

BR

Mauricio
Thank you, but it's still a long way to go with this project.

Language files are located in installation folder, in INI format, so can be edited, or translated to any language. I will upload English version on Google Code's site.

Thank you once again!

mandrade
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

BR

Mauricio
Thank you, but it's still a long way to go with this project.

Language files are located in installation folder, in INI format, so can be edited, or translated to any language. I will upload English version on Google Code's site.

Thank you once again!
Great!!!!! After MUM in Brazil ( i am on it ), i will translate it to Brazilian Portuguese.. :)

BR

Mauricio