Community discussions

MikroTik App

djmuk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

IP oops - mac-telnet won't work

Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:58 pm

I put a pre-configured RB onto a remote network today. When I get back to the office I find that it will ONLY talk to the local network (no routing at all). It had a static address and a DHCP client on the bridge interface & I could talk to it on the DHCP address but not the static. Anyway to cut a long story short while trying to get it working I disabled the DHCP client before I checked for access via the static & cut myself off from the unit!!

I have a PC on the remote LAN that I can use to access the unit so I downloaded the neighbour locater which found the device but got a timeout when I tried to mac-telnet to it. I then realised that I could mac-winbox so tried that as well with the same result.... :(

The PC does have AVG firewall on it - could that be the cause? Any other suggestions why MAC access isn't working?

(Looking back through the telnet screens I realised what was wrong - I had configured the static with a /32 subnet mask so it thought that everything else including the default gateway was on a different IP network!)

David

nickb

Re: IP oops - mac-telnet won't work

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:27 am

I've found that it can be *VERY* difficult to mac-telnet into RB's when you are connecting to a port that's a member of a bridge group. I have a number of CPE units in the field that got deployed with no IP assigned to the unit and configured in bridging mode before we established this was an issue. It's not possible to remotely manage them at all.

Anyways, the point is, in my experience it is not at all uncommon to NOT be able to mac-telnet into an RB that is bridging traffic.