Community discussions

MikroTik App

netpro123
Topic Author

HELP !!! router blocking/dropping voip calls after 30 sec

Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:47 am

B4 i pull the rest of my hair out could someone help me figure out how to configure my mikrotk router to QUIT blocking calls to my pbx server behind the firewall ... i'm newbie @ this and REALLY REALLY NEED to get this working asap

incoming calls work fine and last as long as you want ...BUT all out going calls are dropped after 30 seconds and my voip terminator and a lot places i have read say it sounds like a firewall issue ... i even tried using just port 4569 udp but no matter what type of registration setting i use it drops dead after 30 seconds ....

i'm told the voip provider / terminator is not getting the reply from my pbx behind router firewall and dies ....

when i connect directly to the voip provider with xlite softphone using a direct connection on a network that provides auto nat transversal i can make calls

any ideas how to configure the router ......

someone pls help me out here

thanks a lot !!

Sheldon

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: HELP !!! router blocking/dropping voip calls after 30 s

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:08 am

What are your conntrack settings? 30sec - magic number...

netpro123
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:11 am

i'm sorry you lost me huh???????? a what ?? i'd be glad to provide you any info you need ..... but kinda new to this ..... guy left me hanging and don't know what to do .. .you can contact me by IM if you like oilfield123@hotmail.com or yahoo IM) i really appreciate any help

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:13 am

I meant this
/ip firewall connection tracking print
and this
/ip firewall nat print
If you google for 30sec call drops you'll see it's a classic problem, usually explained by expired SIP connection, router starts to drop packets...

netpro123
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:17 am

i realize it IS a classic problem, the problem is finding someone that knows how to fix it ... do you know how ....

netpro123
Topic Author

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:19 am

does this help any.........

enabled: yes
tcp-syn-sent-timeout: 5s
tcp-syn-received-timeout: 5s
tcp-established-timeout: 1d
tcp-fin-wait-timeout: 10s
tcp-close-wait-timeout: 10s
tcp-last-ack-timeout: 10s
tcp-time-wait-timeout: 10s
tcp-close-timeout: 10s
udp-timeout: 10s
udp-stream-timeout: 3m
icmp-timeout: 10s
generic-timeout: 10m
tcp-syncookie: no
max-entries: 524288
total-entries: 28

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:57 am

Do you have the SIP helper enabled (/ip firewall service-ports), and is it set for the ports you use? Are you accepting established and related traffic in the firewall, if you have any drop rules?

netpro123
Topic Author

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:34 pm

i NEED to know if mikrotik does PAT in addition to NAT when passing sip traffic becuz IF it does that is my problem right there ......i just talked to a friend @ the university that works with asterisk a lot and asked me if mik does PAT when doing NAT for asterisk which will mangle it beyond recognition .... pls let me know asap...

thanks to all

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:39 pm

PAT simply is NAT overload, where many private IP addresses share one public IP address that they are translated to. If you're masquerading traffic or using src-nat with just one to-address for an entire network, you're doing PAT.

If you're translating the one private IP address for a VoIP server to one public IP address, you're doing what your friend is referring to as NAT.

That "RouterOS does PAT in addition to NAT" doesn't make much sense as a statement. PAT is a form of NAT, and unless you have rules for multiple interfaces that the traffic traverses RouterOS is not going to NAT a connection more than once. There isn't an issue as such with PAT'ing SIP connections as long as the device that does PAT inspects the packet so it know about related connections.

Again: Do you have the SIP helper enabled (/ip firewall service-ports), and is it set for the ports you use? Are you accepting established and related traffic in the firewall, if you have any drop rules?

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:35 am

Is your Asterisk in your LAN, or outside?
I have two line SIP adapter behind Mikrotik, registered to hosted PBX (pbxes.com) - no problems at all.
SIP helper is on. I set ports 5061 and 5062 as SIP ports.

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:11 am

this is exactly the problem i am facing everyone seems to have a " theory" i need to know for sure .....

1. i was told by a supposed mikrotik "expert" sip helper does NOT help ... others say it does which is it ???
2. i have a simple network setup with 1 public dynamic ip address on the router, one network card with 1 private internal network with 1 pbx server with a static internal ip address and 3 other computers connect to a switch ... that's it ....

cable modem ----- mik router ------ gigabyte switch -------- pbx server

professor from university tells me not all routers are good for pbx & sip .... i just want to know who is snowing me ....

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:29 pm

SIP is flawed protocol for VoIP, and it makes things very complicated. Every party comes up with their own workarounds, and in total you have so mane combinations so there simply can't be a general rule on routers and VoIP.
For example, it all depends on:
- do you use STUN
- does your VoIP provider uses session border controllers
- what sub-standard customizations the provider made to accommodate his average client setup
- what SIP headers he relies on - there are so many approaches here
- what SIP headers your SIP agents set
- what SIP headers are changed by your PBX and router

I'd say - go to VoIP tech forum on dslreports.com and read, I spent countless hours there to make my system stable

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:43 pm

so then what your trying to tell is that it's a crap shoot ... russian roulette per say ..... not ready for production use ..... only for testing purposes and good luck ..... mik " should" work with voip ........

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:54 pm

This whole issue has nothing to do with mikrotik, just as with any other router, SIP agent, or your beer fridge.
It's flawed design (SIP for VoIP), and to make it work reliably 'admin' usually has to learn and try few things.
If you don't like it - use Skype, implementation wise it's much superior technology.

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm

i beg to differ ..... prove me wrong .... if your so absolutely sure that mik isn't the "issue" here then you also must know what the solution is ... talk is cheap ... show me how to setup/ configure mik properly to work properly with sip ..... i can't even get it work with properly with iax2 for pete's sake something in mik router config is blocking rtp or something ...... if i knew why i wouldn't be asking you guys would i ???

and why

1. when i swap mik out for a cheapy dlink 6 series router .... i don't have that problem
2. i connect directly to my voip terminator bypassing the router using x-lite calls are not dropped and works perfectly
3. when i try the same thing as above but thru the router it won't even allow me to register ...i have to use a specific ip adresss @ voip terminator that does automatic nat transversal to connect why ??

i'm sure i'm not the only guy having this problem..... this is not a complicated network setup ...very basic what wrong with mik ???

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:57 pm

I know for a fact that MT isnt the issue. I have a built from source asterisk server behind my RB1000 and it works like a champ.

I allow 22,25,80,443 tcp and 5060,10000-30000 udp into it from outside. MT is not a SIP proxy. Its connection tracking works for outgoing connections, not incoming connections.

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:35 pm

been there done that doesn't work .... something else in mik router is " still " blocking it ..... even tried 4569, 5038, calls dropped after 30 seconds....

this mik router was built & configured by one of the supposed certified " mik "consultants ..... i paid a lot of $$$$ to setup .... like they say ..... talk is cheap and to put your $$$ where your mouth is LOL.....

so either

1. he doesn't know what he's doing or......
2. this software based mik software isn't capable of doing the job properly ....

I would glady pay you or someone that actually knows what they are doing ..... if it's really that simple (as i assume it should be) .... "experts" like him give you a bad rap... makes people think it's the product...... and frustrates the heck out of people .....

so ... can you duplicate that success on our system ....

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:42 pm

30 sec ?
tipically, your voip server cannot receive sip packets about connection.
Check the firewall: you drop something between your pbx and voip server.
Try to nat everything from your public ip to your pbx.
Last edited by rodolfo on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:08 pm

been there done that ....next! or should i say he did i assume ... he says he did ....

ummmmmmmmm yes 30 seconds hence the title ;) been there done that .... if i knew how to do this myself i :

1. wouldn't be hiring someone else to do it
2. I wouldn't be asking for help ;)

so .... does anyone know how to properly configure it or not ??? or like i have said many times i don't think it's even possible to do it with the software if so why can't anybody get it working .... ?

rodolfo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:48 pm

Your problem does not require any hidden knowledge.
30 sec is the typical timeout of voip pbx before they receive correct sip handshake messages: some ports are close (either by nat or firewall).

Just:
- nat required ports from wan to your pbx
- be shure your outgoing sip packets exit using the same ip address of natted public ip
- change firewall rules to allow your data streams

How could you check the configuration ?
- use packet sniffer to observe data flow
- use action 'log' in firewall to check if something is dropped or not

good work!

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:59 pm

been there done that still does not work ...something in MK is still blocking it ...in fact according to the mk certified mk expert it's supposed to be wide open ..but still be blocked ...... next!!!

like i said i have minimal experience dealing with this program .... it doesn't seem this software is capable of handling this if so pls show how .... pls read previous notes before giving the same answers over and over again ...... been there done that!!!

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Are you sure he really need to "nat required ports from wan to your pbx"?
PBX initiates connections to the provider, conntrack usually handles is as is.
I don't have PBX in my LAN, just SIP agents, but I never had to NAT specific ports.

The only issue with NAT I'd expect is if he want REINVITEs to work properly, and then RTP stream comes from "unexpected" source

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Your attitude really makes people not want to help.

IMHO, you are an idiot that is way over his head.

I have RB433AHs at 3 remote locations w/ between 1 and 3 SIP phones behind them. I have an RB1000 at a datacenter with an asterisk box behind it that runs 10000 minutes of SIP calls per month without a problem. Nothing a-typical about the setup at all.

So.. when you dial out in my system, it goes like this:

SIP Phone -> Mikrotik -> Internet -> Mikrotik -> Asterisk -> Mikrotik -> Internet -> SIP provider

Every call traverses Mikrotik a minimum of 3 times. Without a problem.

Again. NO SPECIAL SETUP. SIP is a shitty, nat-unfriendly protocol.

Do your homework and figure it out.

EDIT: IAX2 doesnt have an RTP channel. IAX2 is very nat friendly. Your setup is FUBAR if IAX2 doesnt work.

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:39 pm

PLEASE READ THE MESSAGES BEFORE REPLYING .... obviously you just jumped in without reading anything else....

how does saying mine works .... help me really ???

and YES i lave an "attitude " more like po'd becuz i paid one of mk's certified experts hundreds of dollars to setup and configure the mk router for use with asterisk and got nothing for it !!!

i'm not looking for charity .... i'm willing to pay for any help ...but i expect them to give me an actual working setup ...is that so much to ask.... nobody has been able to do that yet ???

damn right i'm in over my head .. . i have stated that many times .... telling me all this geek talk is pointless i have no idea what your talking about ..... understand ....??? that's why i hired him and now out of frustration i post it here ......again

hoping someone that has actually got this working can help me figure it out becuz as i stated a few posts earlier ..... i did tests that clearly show MK is lblocking it ........somehow that is beyond the aforementioned "experts ability it seems "

my setup is even simpler than that ..... siphone --------- > pbx ----------> mk ---------- voip terminator

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:51 pm

ps....i have 3 different voip accts ...voip.ms, voicemeup and others .... mk won't even let my x-lite phone register when connected directly to voip.ms or voicemeup ..... either sip OR iax2 period ...

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Connection tracking works... As seen below.

[admin@fw-1] /ip firewall connection> print where connection-mark=voip-conn
Flags: S - seen reply, A - assured
# PROTOCOL SRC-ADDRESS DST-ADDRESS TCP-STATE TIMEOUT
0 SA udp 1.2.3.242:5060 4.5.6.165:5060 47m13s
1 SA udp 2.4.6.202:1024 1.2.3.242:5060 47m28s
2 SA udp 1.2.3.242:5060 7.8.9.146:5060 47m23s
3 SA udp 4.6.8.48:5060 1.2.3.242:5060 47m25s
4 SA udp 1.2.3.242:5060 1.3.5.6:5060 47m16s
5 SA udp 1.2.3.242:5060 3.5.7.190:5060 47m22s
6 SA udp 1.3.5.6:1024 1.2.3.242:5060 58m36s
7 SA udp 1.3.5.6:1025 1.2.3.242:5060 58m43s
8 SA udp 1.2.3.242:11562 1.3.5.6:2226 2m9s
9 SA udp 1.3.5.6:2227 1.2.3.242:11563 2m19s

/ip firewall service-port
set ftp disabled=no ports=21
set tftp disabled=no ports=69
set irc disabled=no ports=6667
set h323 disabled=no
set sip disabled=no ports=5060,5061
set pptp disabled=no

/ip firewall connection tracking
set enabled=yes generic-timeout=10m icmp-timeout=10s tcp-close-timeout=10s tcp-close-wait-timeout=10s \
tcp-established-timeout=1h tcp-fin-wait-timeout=10s tcp-last-ack-timeout=10s tcp-syn-received-timeout=5s \
tcp-syn-sent-timeout=5s tcp-syncookie=yes tcp-time-wait-timeout=10s udp-stream-timeout=3m udp-timeout=10s

/ip firewall filter (excerpt relevant rules)
add action=jump chain=forward comment="***Drop Invalid***" connection-state=invalid disabled=no jump-target=drop
add action=jump chain=input comment="" connection-state=invalid disabled=no jump-target=drop
add action=accept chain=forward comment="***Accept Established/Related***" connection-state=established disabled=no
add action=accept chain=forward comment="" connection-state=related disabled=no
add action=accept chain=input comment="" connection-state=established disabled=no
add action=accept chain=input comment="" connection-state=related disabled=no
add action=jump chain=forward comment="" disabled=no dst-address-list=host_voicemail in-interface=ether1 jump-target=\
voicemail-in
add action=accept chain=voicemail-in comment="" connection-state=new disabled=no dst-port=5060,10000-30000 protocol=udp

That is on my server side.

On my client side, there is literally NOTHING special about it. If you can get on the internet, the phone will dial out and work. The only additional stuff I do on the client side is setup queues to guarantee bandwidth for voip packets. I dont even do that on the server side cuz it is on a 100mbit connection.

Post your filter and nat configuration.

/ip firewall filter export
/ip firewall nat export
/ip firewall service-port export

And calm down. People dont like to help people who are assholes. Especially for free.

PS: What SIP provider?

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:13 pm

please dont double post, stick to one of these threads and save us all your yelling. dude, if you want help, setup a read-only user and post the username / password. quit yelling at everything saying you tried it, you havent posted a SINGLE rule that you've entered so how do we know what you've tried. give us information about how you have it configured and we will make it work, it's not that hard. sheesh!

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 pm

i'll say it again.......... it's all greek to me what am i supposed to make or do with all the code you just pasted in that answer ???

and how or where am i supposed to do this "setup a read-only user and post the username / password" ???

and where am i supposed to get that info your asking for ???

the ip stuff??
Last edited by netpro123 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:48 pm

paste this into your routers terminal window and then give us your IP address:

/user add name=readonly password=readonly group=read

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:51 pm

what's the point of readonly then you can't fix what's broken ???

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 pm

wait a min...if i post that here every tom dick and harry will be able to login ??? that's crazy

i'll send it by IM or email

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:02 pm

where do i send it ???

edmidor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:05 pm

.......... it's all greek to me what am i supposed to make or do ....??
That's the problems here. I think you have three options:

1. Accept the fact that this router has learning curve. Stop screaming and asking same thing again and again, go search, read, and learn, and come back only when it won't be "greek" to you anymore.
2. If you refuse to learn, then leave Mikrotik alone, but yourself Netgear 3700 - the most powerful consumer router, most likely will work out of the box
3. Hire a permanent system admin. Just don't yell on him.

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:12 pm

/user add testuser=readonly test123=readonly group=read

there you go ...now what .... ???

is this message going to be deleted later or left for every hacker in the world to " check out "

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:17 pm

That wont do it. You changed the commands around.

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 pm

what are you talking about that is exactly how you pasted it look above ...

paste this into your routers terminal window and then give us your IP address:

/user add name=readonly password=readonly group=read

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Right. You changed the commands.

name=(what you want the username to be)
password=(what you want the password to be)

And no. I wont. Im not the one having the problem.

If you cant export your configuration for us, then we cant see what is happening. That is like asking a doctor to operate blindfolded with his hands tied behind his back.

netpro123
Topic Author

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 pm

i don't follow your statement .....

And no. I wont. Im not the one having the problem.

does that mean you won't delete this listing with all my network info for the world of hackers to see or ????

i'm confused.... i'm saying i don't want everyone to know it .... follow ? would you ...??

netpro123
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:03 am

if you REALLY want to help as you say then you would give an email address or @ least private message to send the login info to....

i may be crazy but i'm not stupid enuf to post that data on a public forum sorry no way .... with my ip address etc .... i don't need that grief.... how dumb do you think i am LOL

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:07 am

PMs are disabled on this board. You don't want to post information here because it's public, but you want him to post an email address for spammers to harvest?

You can edit your own messages and delete that information you post the moment he has received it, so asking someone else to delete the post is redundant since you already have that power.

On top of all that, he's offering to help you out for free.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:38 am

tim at positivesolutionsgroup dot com

rothel
just joined

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:44 am

Fewi, i need a help as well about seting up my 4.6 MT and i am willing to pay for it per paypal. If u r interested leave a word here or just pont me to the right person. Please !

Thanks in advance

netpro123
Topic Author

Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:53 am

Tim i just sent you the files ...let me know if you don't get it ....

ps i did not know you could delete the messages ... i thought like most forums they are somewhat permanent unless deleted by forums mgr etc...
and most forums i go to use pm's this is news to me...

nest
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:40 am

Fewi, i need a help as well about seting up my 4.6 MT and i am willing to pay for it per paypal. If u r interested leave a word here or just pont me to the right person. Please !

Thanks in advance
Tried contacting a consultant? http://www.mikrotik.com/consultants.html

All the contact details are there. Pick and choose who you want.

miahac
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:24 am

Sorry to interrupt.
If you are registering a device behind your * with a simple masquerade and you are still dropping calls after 30 sec, there is something wrong with your config. This should take 30 seconds to setup like he said.

set up a no frills network, one external IP, one private subnet with srcnat masquerade. Make sure connection tracking is on. You do not have to do ANYTHING ELSE. I have over a hundred extensions/DID's set up just like this.

If you have a * server behind your MT.....
Did you think of looking at your sip.conf

[
general]
localnet=192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 ; or your subnet
externip=x.x.x.x               ; use your address

[YOURREMOTEPEER]               ; your peer's name
nat=yes
qualify=yes                    ; Force keepalives
in rtp.conf
rtpstart=20000
rtpend=25000
This may help quite a bid for registering outside devices to your src nat'd network.

Also I x-lite has an option to register every x seconds, drop that below 30.

Finally on your mt, set up a no frills network, one external IP, one private subnet with srcnat masquerade, and forward port 5060,5061 and 20000-25000 to your with a dst nat on the external port only (so as to not create a loop). Make sure connection tracking is on.

THIS WORKS AND IS EASY

warwick09
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:05 am

This guy is a tool. No wonder im losing faith in Humans. :-x

jkyawesome

Re: HELP !!! router blocking/dropping voip calls after 30 sec

Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:17 am

Watch this video.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM7wyKdnIKA ......it explains Mikrotik sip helper. Also when you change sip helper settings you must reboot router for new settings to be implemented. Good Luck

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HELP !!! router blocking/dropping voip calls after 30 sec

Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:18 am

post your config so we can figure something out........

/export hide-sensitive file=anynameyouwish