Community discussions

MikroTik App

cheinzle
Topic Author

swapping interface cards (and suggestion)

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:08 pm

Ive noticed in some cases that when I swap out a PCI ethernet interface card (on a PC based machine), the MT OS loses track of interface names, as well as ip addressses, routes, etc associated with that interface. Obviously its difficult for the OS to make accurate assumptions about what name should go with what new interface (consider the example of removing a single port PCI card and installing a 4-port PCI card). Anyone else had this problem??

Perhaps marking unknown interfaces something other than 'unknown' would be beneficial so that users could re-name all related configuration to the new interface name.

EX: A PC-based router has 3 PCI single-port ethernet interfaces, named as follows:

PCI slot 1: world
PCI slot 2: internal
PCI slot 3: customers

If I remove the card from slot 2 and replace it with a 4-port PCI card, the OS cannot figure out which new ethernet port matches to which name as previously configures, so it names them as "unknown". If the names were kept the same, and tagged in some way as no longer pointing to a valid name, it would allow the user to set up new interface names for the new ethernet ports, and then tell the config to transfer anything that was named X change to Y.

For configs that have few IPs and routes, its no big deal. I have 3 dozen IPs and many route statements as well on my router, so its difficult to recreate the entire config.

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:04 am

This topic has come up several times in the forum. The bottom line is, that you'll loose config information when changing interfaces, as this config params are bound the the MAC or some other id of the interface card.

I have not seen a sensible suggestion how this could be worked around - if someone has one, I'm sure MikroTik will consider doing this...
Best regards,
Christian Meis

cheinzle
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:32 pm

I have not seen a sensible suggestion how this could be worked around - if someone has one, I'm sure MikroTik will consider doing this...

I'll take a shot at suggestions:

Keep the name the same as before the interface was changed, but tag it as unavailable (rather than just 'unknown'). Allow the user to pick a new and as-yet unassigned interface as the replacement, and the MT then reassignes everything that is still taged with the old interface name to the new interface.

Or, simply naming a new interface the same as the one that was removed, and letting the MT assign all the items with the old name (and the unavailable tag) to the interface with the same name.

make sense?

cmit
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Sounds good - perhaps (probably) someone from MikroTik will read along - Normunds/Uldis/Eugene/John, are you there? ;)
Best regards,
Christian Meis