Community discussions

MikroTik App

boretto
Topic Author

RB800 + Big Outdoor Case(CA/OTU) + 4xUbnt XR5 = temp issues?

Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:56 pm

Anybody had test this configurantion and is getting temp issues like me?

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB800 + Big Outdoor Case(CA/OTU) + 4xUbnt XR5 = temp iss

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:03 am

Hi,

Can you give more info, e.g. layout/enclosure detail?

Rgds,
Mark.

boretto
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks for your reply. The boards is on a mkt case (Mkt reference : CA/OTU) with four ubnt XR5. Powered by POE (56V / 2Amp) Is outdoor and hermetically closed, although there are to small holes at the bottom to avoid condensation (I think)

I upgraded to ROS 4.6, but there is a bug about temp and it showed 121C, so I downgrade to 4.5 and the temp is shown correctly again. I experienced some hangs days ago that I relate to temp issues (hangs occurs during higher temp hours) but at that time I didnt know I can check temp with winbox. I will closely check temps today. We will have about 20ºC here in Spain. So I can confirm the temp issue. Too bad if this is confirmed, cause I can't use RB800 here (about 45º in july/august)

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 am

Hi

Mikrotik say that it should work and they have tested this to high temperatures.
But my concern is mainly that the unit has a fan.

Read here - http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39984

Rgds,
Mark

dormador
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:49 am

Big Outdoor Case(CA/OTU) ???

i can put 2 xr2 in the buttom but in front i cant put it... i can put r52h & r52n only !
and what do you do with pigitals ?

can you insert here picture to see
_____
like the past sorry for bad E

acim

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:08 pm

I suspect we have temperature issues also, besides we use just 3 CM9 cards at the moment. Our RB800 is hanging almost every day, usually about 14-15 o'clock under strong sun, although outside temperatures in Serbia are not so high yet. We tried many things and I am not sure if we resolved this problem yet.

1. We put RB800 in alloy box like this:

http://pacific.wavearena.eu/en/detail/6 ... avebox-alu

And we put 1 x SR5, 1 x CM9, 1 x R52-350 cards. It started hanging every 10 minutes or so. We replaced SR5 with Sparklan 198N and it worked for a day or two.

2. It started hanging again. We replaced R53-350 with CM9, but hanging continued every day, so we put 2 x Sparklan 198N and 1 x CM9. Then, it happened just one Sparklan didn't work at all, so we replaced it with CM9, than other day other Sparklan stopped working, so we replaced that one also with CM9. When we put these two Sparklan cards in another box in our office, they both work, so this is completely crazy.

3. We changed alloy box for plastic case on the pictures bellow. We changed power supply from 48V to 24V and not we are waiting to see if this is the problem.

4. Yes, I forgot, in the meantime we replaced RB800 itself with another RB800, but they both work the same way, hanging every day. We tried first RB800 (which is removed from production) in our office and it overheated very quickly in the alloy box and hanged with bad smell. After we removed and put back power supply, it still worked. I will try this test again because I am not sure what happened exactly. It seems to me that metal box on the board is overheating (check pictures). I supose it has something to do with the power supply. When we put the same board on the table without a box, it works without problem.

5. Today is a bit colder, outside temperature is about 14 degrees Celsius and CPU temperature of the RB800 is 115-116 degrees (I supose Fahrenheit, which is 46-47 degrees Celsius). RouterOS is 4.6 at the moment. We made quite big hole under the box and tried everything we now, so the next step would be replacing RB800 with RB433AH for the time being and send all RB800's to service. We ordered RB800's from the first import to Serbia (early January this year) and I suspect they all might have some production problem.

Does someone experience similar problems? What are usual working temperatures of RB800?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

acim

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:10 pm

We completely removed rubber from the bottom to get better cooling, but we have to resolve this before snow, I supose snow might get in (with help of wind) through these holes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

acim

Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:21 pm

This metal box (marked red) is very hot. I forgot to mention that we have tried PoE with two different 48V power supplies and we tried direct power with 48V and now with 24V supplies. We tried to put power supplies before and after UPS and it's all the same, still hanging every day. This is electrical plant quite difficult to climb :(

SurferTim
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Powered by POE (56V / 2Amp)
Don't use this. User manual says 48v max on both power inputs.
Are you sure you are supplying enough power at the other voltages? The XR5's each use 1.8a max at 3.3v. That is a total of 23 watts. Add 9 watts for the RB800, and you are at 32 watts (24v@1500ma power required). Check "/system health" and see what input voltage the unit is showing. Might want to check it as it gets near the time it fails.
Things will get hot inside that box with 32 watts in there.

boretto
Topic Author

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:20 pm

@ dormador : we rectified the bottom metal plate to slide the board on it, so we can adjust the board position to fit on the case, ask to a metal worker to drill it (I can attach you a picture of our drills, if you like)

@acim : You are experiencing same problems as us here. Board hangs on sunny hours even not so hot out. We tried a lot of POE combinations, but no direct jack powering and somebody had check that there is 15W more power consum with POE than with direct jack, and maybe this power is dissipated as hot inside the case, so it will be our next step.

Another question for us is: if POE standart says that values for power is near 15W maximum, could be RB800 hangs when this value is passed or keep working even with more power consum?

Your extrange values for temperature is not for Farenheit, actually values are Celsius, but a bug on ROS v4.6 is showing it wrong. Try downgrade to v4.5 and values will be good again.

We experienced problems with radios too. Sometimes one or two radios stop work, and only thing we can do is power off/on. So maybe is not your radios problem but a power/temp problem.

Now we are at 12ºC-14ºC here and RB800 is accounting 51ºC-52ºC inside case, only rest 13ºC to the 65ºC maximum for RB800 to stop work...

Sorry for your problem, hope we can solve it soon. If I cant find soon a solution I'm planning to change the schema to four RB433AH with a radio and a box each one ....

acim

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:47 pm

You are experiencing same problems as us here. Board hangs on sunny hours even not so hot out. We tried a lot of POE combinations, but no direct jack powering and somebody had check that there is 15W more power consum with POE than with direct jack, and maybe this power is dissipated as hot inside the case, so it will be our next step.
I've tried direct power supply and the problem is still persisting. I've tried two different 48V power supplies both on PoE and to power jack (not at the same time, just to PoE or just to power jack) and it is always the same, hanging at sunny hours. Yesterday, I put 24V power supply to test with it and it is still working, but the weather is not so sunny today, so I can't be sure. I've contacted some other companies here in Serbia and they claim their RB800's are working fine even with several XR5 inside.
Your extrange values for temperature is not for Farenheit, actually values are Celsius, but a bug on ROS v4.6 is showing it wrong. Try downgrade to v4.5 and values will be good again.
I know this is a bug in 4.6, I've tried 4.5 also and temperature is correct with 4.5, but this value in 4.6 looks just like Fahrenheit, besides they declare Celsius. I've checked my RB800 a minute ago, and it stands at 121 degree while outside is 17 degrees Celsius. This is 50-51 degree Celsius, I believe.
We experienced problems with radios too. Sometimes one or two radios stop work, and only thing we can do is power off/on. So maybe is not your radios problem but a power/temp problem.
Same here, our Sparklan 198N used to hang and if I scan with it, it is absolutely blind. It looked totally broken. When I put the same card to another box, it worked fine. This happend to two 198N cards and this is why I have just 3 CM9 cards inside at the moment. They seem to be stable, but not RB800. I am wondering if this is just with some series of RB800 or all of them are having the temperature problem.

jp
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:47 pm

With those holes in the bottom, don't be suprised if you find a wasp or bee nest inside the box.

acim

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:43 am

We opened these holes yesterday because we were desperate to resolve the problem. I am not worried about wasps now, I am worried about making this to work without locks. This is definitely temperature issue because it worked today without problems and it was cloudy and rainy today. And this is the first day it worked without problems.

Besides, this big metal box bellow also has holes and there are no wasps or anything. As I said, this is electrical plant, 86m high and there are not many insects at this height.

boretto
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:57 pm

@SurferTim :
Don't use this. User manual says 48v max on both power inputs.
I just reviewed manual : POE runs from 38V to 56V, direct Jack from 10V to 56V, now we had about 54.2 V inbox, with a 100W PSU, I think we can bring enought power to run. I bet this is a temp issue, maybe RB800 + 4 XR4 can´t be placed togheter outside on a closed box. Too hot to work. RB600 + 4 XR5 was working good for me last 18 months. Time to change schema to individual board, radio, case and PSU.

@acim :

A temp issue definitely. Yesterday no hangs for me here too. 18ºC out, but windy, so termal sensation was colder. We scored 56ºC inside box, only rest 9ºC to 65ºC upper limit. By now I can't confirm where it hangs exactly (65º or lower/upper temp). But not a good idea have this board/radios running outside. I will do only a new test: feed it with 24V direct jack, and check if temp is in same values or not. If there is not a big temp drop, I will change to individual radio schema : each radio with each case, board, PSU, etc. Mikrotik support recommnend me change XR5 to R52H, but I'm not sure I can expect same performances.

acim

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:35 pm

My RB800 is still working today. CPU temperature is 101 degree (I supose real value is 38.3 Celsius), which is much lower than on Sunday. Outside temperature is 8 degrees. I am 99% sure this is the cause of our problems. I will prepare 433AH and be ready for the first sunny day if RB800 hangs to replace it and send it back to supplier. I was thinking of additional coolers, but Mikrotik claims it doesn't need it, so I supose my RB800 is broken, actually two of them. I have two more, but I have no time to make additional experiments.

boretto
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:06 pm

The bad about v4.6 temp bug is that you cannot check the real temperature wich is hanging the board. With v4.6 the max number is 121º (F or wrong scale). So i'm with v4.5 waiting to reach the 65ºC limit to confirm hangs. By now 54ºC inbox / 16ºC outdoor here, but 21ºC expected today.

missinlnk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 pm

Acim, do you have the RB800 deployed anywhere else yet? If so, has this been a problem with all of them you've deployed or just the units you've tried on the tower?

For anyone else, are you seeing this problem with all of your RB800s or just some?

acim

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Acim, do you have the RB800 deployed anywhere else yet? If so, has this been a problem with all of them you've deployed or just the units you've tried on the tower?
I have tried two boards on this same place, I haven't tried it somewhere else, I didn't want more trouble :)

I will probably make more experiments but not in production this time. I will let you know what I find.

I spoke to two companies here and they both don't complain about RB800. I am not sure if they have it in some shade or exposed to the sunlight.

boretto
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 pm

@acim . It crashed!. At 63º one radio stop working, so I must restart all. I will do not more test. I just ordered four RB411AH and return RB800 back. Now our case is opened until we get the new parts.

acim

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:16 pm

@acim . It crashed!. At 63º one radio stop working, so I must restart all. I will do not more test. I just ordered four RB411AH and return RB800 back. Now our case is opened until we get the new parts.
My RB800 is still working at this cloudy and rainy day. This kind of weather I expect tomorrow also and we will see what will happend on Thursday.

acim

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:10 am

It is cold outside, so this is the greatest uptime ever :lol:

boretto
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:37 am

@acim: My RB800 is colder than yours!!! hahahaha. We opened front panel to open air and put a wire net to avoid birds. As wheater forecast it will be sunny until next monday, so I expect change to four boards this weekend. Until then, I expect no hangs with 42ºC maximum :D

boretto
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:56 am

@ missinlnk : same issues in both RB800 I tested here.

OpiumDream

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:04 am

that's terrible :(

we are working on a city wide wifi backup project for a bank.
I was going to use rb/800, we need 4 radios per 1 ap, 2 for sectors and 2 for backhaul nstream dual link.
Customer will pay 300 000$ for this project , if network will hang every day they will hang me.
Please keep posting about this issue, I hope it will be resolved :?

Thank you.

boretto
Topic Author

Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:16 pm

@OpiumDream : I bet it could be solved spending some time with coolers and case. This board comes even with various cooler conectors for failback, so if you are some kind of "McGiver" you can setup a serius performance system, but if you haven't the time nor the skills to make it, go better to other scheme. I think this would be great if Mikrotik design a special outdoor case with a suitable cooling system.

@acim : 38ºC inside box at maximum outdoor temp here (20º) without cover, of course :D

acim

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:23 pm

boretto, do you think ventilation could help? Maybe to make some hole at the top and leave one hole at the bottom to get natural ventilation. If that is not enough, maybe to add some fan. Maybe there are examples of RB800 which can withstand high temperature better, but there are obviously some which can't, like yours and mine.

missinlnk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:27 pm

A hole in the top for ventilation would be great right up until you get your first rain. :D

acim

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:42 pm

A hole in the top for ventilation would be great right up until you get your first rain. :D
Do you see the drawing above?

missinlnk
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Do you see the drawing above?
I missed the spout on there! Sorry about that. :)

That could potentially help some, but I'm not sure if enough air to make a difference is actually going to cycle through the case in that setup. I think you would need to add an active fan to it to make sure air was moving through the case.

OpiumDream

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:57 pm

@OpiumDream : I bet it could be solved spending some time with coolers and case. This board comes even with various cooler conectors for failback, so if you are some kind of "McGiver" you can setup a serius performance system, but if you haven't the time nor the skills to make it, go better to other scheme. I think this would be great if Mikrotik design a special outdoor case with a suitable cooling system.

@acim : 38ºC inside box at maximum outdoor temp here (20º) without cover, of course :D
maybe we can adjust cpu speed to 400mhz ? Could someone confirm this possibility ?
I don’t need a 800mhz cpu, RB/600 worked perfectly handling 80mb tcp full duplex traffic, thats more then enough for me.

Maybe someone can advice good outdoor case with cooling?
I can’t step back now and tell my customer that my solution for 300k$ will not work :(
Damn

btw i want to use R5H radios with manually lowered power levels.
Could someone suggest what’s best to use R52 on a default power level or R5H with twice lowered power levels ?
Which one will make more heat ?

acim

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:20 pm

I've already tried 600Mhz and didn't help, it still freezed just the same way as on default frequency. I believe just cooling could help. My RB800 is still working at this cloudy weather :D I expect tomorrow higher temperatures, so I will let you know what happends.

OpiumDream

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:03 pm

I've already tried 600Mhz and didn't help, it still freezed just the same way as on default frequency. I believe just cooling could help. My RB800 is still working at this cloudy weather :D I expect tomorrow higher temperatures, so I will let you know what happends.
could you try 400 mhz ? also please tell me where from i can adjust cpu speed ?

acim

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:18 am

could you try 400 mhz ? also please tell me where from i can adjust cpu speed ?
I can't experiment further with this device because my customers are already angry enough. I expect tomorrow 20 degrees outside and if it locks again, I am going to replace it with RB433AH.

I bought RB800 to be faster than RB433AH, that's why I am not interrested to test it at 400MHz at all. I will probably test it a little bit further out of production and on some other spot. I will let you know how it goes.

acim

Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:20 am

This is really our greatest uptime, but we are getting hotter :?

It is 11 degrees outside and increasing, sunny weather.

boretto
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:14 pm

This is really our greatest uptime, but we are getting hotter
I'm sorry for that. I definitely confirm temp issue, no hangs since we quit cover even with 21º outdoor, So I'm ready to place four individual RB411AH + XR5 + OTS case + PULS 24V/1.6Amp PSU each. I'm sure this will fix our problems.

acim

Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Temperature is growing, 15°C outside.

acim

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:32 pm

16:30 outside temperature 18°C, our RB800 again hanged. We are going to replace it with RB433AH. I am just wonderring what will be with RB800's in summer under 35-40°C. And I am wonderring if all RB800's have this temperature issue or just some series.

OpiumDream

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Ppl please confirm when equipment hangs you lose wireless modules or complete system is inaccessible ?

Modules I want to use R5H can work +80 Celsius

Datasheet says
The R5H can work in very severe conditions - the operational temperature can range from -40 to +80 degrees Celsius, which is much more than any competing product.

I have 200 R5H on stock, i think i can have a normal sleep now 8)

acim

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 pm

RB800 is completely dead when it hangs on "high" temperature, even ethernet is not accessible, eth LED is not blinking, just power LED is still on, but machine is completelly dead. At least this is for 2 pieces of RB800 which I bought. I have two more which are brand new, not opened yet. I cited "high" temperature because this happened today at just 18°C outside. I can't imagine what will happened at 40°C withint 2-3 months.

I will return at least one of these problematic RB800's to my distributor to let them check, but after 25 years of experience with computers (yes, I am 40 :D) I am sure at least some of these devices have temperature issues even with quite low outside temperatures od 18°C. Mikrotik declares 65°C operating temperature maximum.

If we need to put additional fans or make air flow, Mikrotik has to tell us that, it's no problem, but we have to know what to do. Or if we have problematic RB800's, they have to recall them. Here is RB433 at the same position, just in the different, even smaller alloy and completelly insulated box.

boretto
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 am

RB800 is completely dead when it hangs on "high" temperature, even ethernet is not accessible, eth LED is not blinking, just power LED is still on, but machine is completelly dead.
Same for our two pieces. So, tomorrow will change all four sectors to RB411AH each one. Is good how RB800 show temperature, I will miss it with RB411AH. I will not miss hangs from RB800 :D

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi,

Why not go for two RB433AH units? We have quite a few of these running in outdoor enclosures without any ventilation and in Malta we hit 45 deg C quite often in the summer and have yet to have a heat related problem.

Rggds,
Mark.

boretto
Topic Author

Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:22 am

Why not go for two RB433AH units?
Thanks for yor reply. RB411AH is exactly same performance than RB433AH, so I prefer not to share this performance for two radios. I prefer individual radios for sector to keep each problem apart from other sector. Before this if I have a board fail, all four sector goes down. Now I can have people running on three sectors when I'm working on another one.

acim

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:43 pm

I would not agree, I don't like UBNT hardware at all, lot of problems with dynamic ACK, etc. RB433AH, RB433 and RB600 are the best :)

bintang

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:14 am

i have same problem..

the rb800 hang ..evry day when temp. high . about 60*c

mikrotik team ... what your solutions ...??? :shock: :shock:

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:00 am

i have same problem..

the rb800 hang ..evry day when temp. high . about 60*c

mikrotik team ... what your solutions ...??? :shock: :shock:
Please contact mikrotik if you have an issue that needs solving. This is a user forum not mikrotik support system

acim

Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:16 pm

I continued testing RB800, this time two pieces at two different locations than before. Here is one of them, hotter than before, but still working. It is sunny weather here, currently 21°C. BTW, I am doing 802.11n tests with them, also, and first results are good.

angry23
just joined

Sun May 02, 2010 3:33 am

Hello there,

We (ISP) had really tough week with rb800, since weather started to be hot in there, and one of our most heavy utilized rb800 started to hang every five minutes.
Hangs started usually at 11:30 and remains until 17:00, cpu temp was between 67-75 celsius. Hangs never occured at night and in cloudy days, so that pointed me to temperature issue. Yes, routerboard was in non-ventilated plastic case.

So there is sollution that worked for me:

1/Reducing cpu freq:
ot.png
Notice the temperature. Under strong sun the temperature never goes above 57 celsius. Hangs are gone, and processing power is enough (max 50%) to handle everithing include queues and dynamic routing.
ot.png
Last edited by angry23 on Mon May 03, 2010 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acim

Sun May 02, 2010 11:12 pm

One of two RB800's which I tested hanged yesterday. It is interesting that the other one (which is still working fine) had higher temperature while working, even up to 59°C. It is probably on sunnier place, but it didn't hang yet, so I supose it is good one (outside temperature today was 29°C, very sunny). I will return the other one to my supplier, something is wrong with it definitely. I have two more pieces to test and I supose at least one more of them is bad.

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 03, 2010 11:39 pm

Sorry for not reading the whole thread, may be it was mentioned before
but are you using daughterboard on the RB800?
A customer of ours is using RB800 since day one and never complained
about hangover of the RB800 and it is hot here too :)
On the other hand, another one chose to use it with daughterboard and R5H
wireless cards on it and he had the same problems as you are. Actually he replaced
the RB800 with a RB600 and is not complaining any more.

acim

Tue May 04, 2010 1:01 am

No daughterboards. This last time, I had just two wireless cards inside, one Sparklan WMIA-198N which was used for testing 802.11n performances and one Sparklan WPEA-110N which was just sitting inside with no cables on it (and disabled in RouterOS). 802.11n worked fine untill one of RB800's crashed at 15:45, probably because of the strong sunlight.

Another RB800 was exposed even to higher temperature for 6 degrees and it is still alive for almost 3 days. I replaced the one which hanged with third piece and I continued testing 802.11n, but this time with WPEA-110N on this side against WMIA-198N on another side. I will let you know what is going on.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 05, 2010 9:19 am

yes, if your environment is hot, you need to use a specialized case with different material and cooling.

acim

Wed May 05, 2010 10:00 am

We were waiting for this answer for several weeks :D

normis, can you post some pictures of the case? I am not sure I could get the same case here, so I have to see it to be able to modify my cases in order to get proper air ventilation. Thank you in advance.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 05, 2010 10:05 am

also there were problems with the CPU temperature reading in RouterOS, it's fixed only in v4.9 so don't trust that number in earlier versions. If you don't see any actual problems, just number, don't worry

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 05, 2010 10:16 am

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 05, 2010 10:19 am

cool boxes, but no coolers

siscom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed May 05, 2010 10:34 am

Hi,

The smaller units OBR-1 - They have space for cooling/exhuast fans in back.
The larger units RH-S-680 - the intenal units have predisposition for cooling too. Also have external plates.

You can also find others here - http://www.l-com.com/productcenter.aspx?id=552

Rgds,
Mark.

ysam
just joined

Wed May 05, 2010 5:29 pm

I am not sure if it's a temperature problem but I also have big trouble with by rb800. It hangs completely after 11 in the morning, if I reset the power I loose all wifi cards and only ethernet ports are functioning. In resources I see all r52n and cm9 (uknown device for r52n and AR5212 802.11abg for cm9). I shutdown power wait a few mins and repower. It works fine. After 5mins I loose it again. Everything works after 4 in the evening.. I have changed wifi cards (I bought more since I thought they are the problem) but again problems.

RB800 - 800Mhz cpu freq.
ROS 4.9
2.26 firmware from 4.9 upgrade
RB604 daughterboard
8 wifi cards (r52n and cm9) mixed.
48V switching power supply connected to plug (No POE)
Plastic Box IP56 FG 13509 from http://www.faeg.it/Catalogo/Serie%2013.pdf

Problem is when it hangs it does not create any support.rif
The other bigger problem is when it hangs a reboot doesn't do anything.. even if I power cycle I loose all wifi cards and then software reboot will not do anything.. All cards are gone even if I see them in resources.

Outside temp here in Athens was 27->29 celcius.
I have seen RB800 reports from 51 to 71 celcius during the day/night.

Makes me wonder what will happen in August with ~40 degrees outside temp.

But is temperature really the problem? Or something else?

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 05, 2010 8:30 pm

I have my doubts that it is completely related to the temperature, although it looks
like it is related to it because of the time of the day it gives issues.
Anyway, after the first complain from my customer, i decided to test the RB800 myself.
Since I have no option of testing it with wireless, i did a test with bandwidth test.
During the bandwidth test I run the RB800 without and with fan. It ran ok for more than
four hours without a single problem, transmitting nearly 100Mbps from RB to PC.
The temperature varied from 60 (with fan) to 95 (without fan)

acim

Wed May 05, 2010 9:17 pm

@Caci99

It seems to me it doesn't get hot if you don't have power consumption on it. So, try to put some wireless cards inside and repeat the test. My theory is that under hot weather outside power supply part (which I marked somewhere above) gets too hot and the whole RB locks after some time. If you don't have enough power consumption, it doesn't get hot enough.

I have at least one RB800 which is working fine even on hot, sunny weather outside, so not all of them are affected, actually they probably have different limits. I sent one of the problematic RB800's to my supplier to let them check, because they claim they have many of them in production without any problem.

@all
Everyone claimed we don't need active cooling and now normis says we need it. If we go to active colling, we will probably resolve our problems, but then it should stay in all documentation of RB800 that it needs active colling box.

Caci99
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 05, 2010 10:41 pm

Yes acim, I've checked the part that you marked, and actually it didn't get hot

I also tried a couple of fans, installed them according the RB800 manual and they both worked
although I don't have any fan at 5.5V and 3.3V as the RB800 requires, I only have 12V. To make them
work I connected the the 5.5V fan with which the RB comes at the 3.3 jumper and the 12v fan at the
5.5V jumper. They worked, but not at they full power so less roattaion per minute :).

Any way, I don't have any more chance to test it in a full wireless enviroment.

netbr
just joined

Mon May 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Is there any new answer about this issue from Mikrotik staff? I am in contact with mikrotik support, but I can see that is a manufacturer problem in the RB 800, or a project problem.
We should receive at least an answer to how solve that issue, any idea from the fellows?

acim

Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:42 am

Mikrotik confirmed this problem in July, but not in this thread, so, click here.