Community discussions

MikroTik App

Inssomniak
Topic Author

v5.0 PPPoE cllient wont get ipv6 address?

Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:59 pm

My ISP is using ipv6 now with PPPoE, but the 5.0 beta ppp client wont get the automatically assigned IP?

Is this a known issue?

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: v5.0 PPPoE cllient wont get ipv6 address?

Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:12 am

I'm not sure there is a standard and reliable protocol to assign Ipv6 address or prefix through ppp actualy.

DHCP or RADV cannot work through PPPoE because they are level 2 protocoles. PPP deliver level 3 packets.

Our provider gives a /48 IPv6 prefix, but we need to configure it manualy.

The futur is native Ethernet connections and FTTH fiber links, but in the meantime we need to use this old stuff because providers do not want to change their hardware to fast.

Inssomniak
Topic Author

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:40 am

The futur is native Ethernet connections and FTTH fiber links, but in the meantime we need to use this old stuff because providers do not want to change their hardware to fast.

Hah

Maybe where you live.

marlow
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:35 am

My ISP is using ipv6 now with PPPoE, but the 5.0 beta ppp client wont get the automatically assigned IP?

Is this a known issue?
I've been talking to Mikrotik support about that and it's part of the design of their PPPoE client, that it doesn't set up the Global IP address, it receives via IP6CP. You need to configure an address of the prefix, that the provider assigns, manually.

The good thing about it, you don't need to assign it to the PPPoE interface. You can actually assign it to the lan-interface and get access to the whole /64 (if that is, what your provider assigns over the PPPoE tunnel).

I'm still waiting on an answer from Mikrotik, how and if they are making it possible to define where and to assign the address automatically, as it would be important for our IPv6 rollout.
I'm not sure there is a standard and reliable protocol to assign Ipv6 address or prefix through ppp actualy.

DHCP or RADV cannot work through PPPoE because they are level 2 protocoles. PPP deliver level 3 packets.
PPPoE is actually layer2 tunneling (layer2 on layer2), not layer 3. And autoconfiguration can be done via IP6CP (numbered) or DHCPv6 (unnumbered)
Our provider gives a /48 IPv6 prefix, but we need to configure it manualy.
The only way currently to configure the /48 or the first /64 of the /48 would be with a unumbered setup (DHCPv6), but Mikrotik doesn't support that yet. There is a draft for the interaction between CPE and Router: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v ... -router-04. I've asked them, to support and develop towards this draft. The more people ask them, the more likely it is to be implemented.
Even on FTTH you would need VPLS/L2VPN, Vlan's or PPPoE for authentication and provisioning. This has nothing to do with old or new.

/M

mag

Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:56 pm

The above described behavior of IPv6CP is correct and standard conform.
What we need on MT-ROS is called "prefix-delegation" via PPP or similar links, where a delegating router (CO) gives the CPE a prefix, and the CPE selects subnets for the interfaces from that prefix.
I hope MT will work it into ROS because its the forthcoming standard for native IPv6 access and already supported by other vendors (Cisco, Juniper, AVM)

liteforce

Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:59 pm

IPv6 RA (or RADV as you call it) is most definitely Layer 3 rather than Layer 2 - when used over a PPP link, the link-local address negotiated by the client via IPv6CP coupled with the advertised prefix by the server are used to determine what address is set on the client.

We aren't using RouterOS for this; using MPD on FreeBSD instead and we have 'rtadvd' (FreeBSD's IPv6 RA daemon) spawn for every connection which successfully negotiates IPv6CP, so I do know of what I speak ;-)

Regards,
Terry Froy
Spilsby Internet Solutions

omega-00
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 25, 2010 7:58 am

+1 for support for this, similarly we can see ppp v6 connectivity but have no way to obtain the /64 prefix we're given.

This is even more of a problem for dynamic connections as the prefix isn't set.