MikroTik App

risipetillo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wireless Roaming with Remote Hotspot + AP + EOIP Tunnel

Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Dear all,

I was playing with this idea earlier today, and wanted to know if anyone had tried to set this up before.

Where you have Wireless AP connections being tunneled through EOIP to a remote router with Hotspot enabled?

I would like to have wireless roaming inside a building from various remote Mikrotik AP's, with all users connecting / authentication on a single Mikrotik Hotspot Splash Page.

Has anyone done this before?

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Wireless Roaming with Remote Hotspot + AP + EOIP Tunnel

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:10 pm

I do it, but not EOIP. Just more than one AP w/ the hotspot running on an RB450. Dunno why you would need EOIP tunnel.

risipetillo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Do you Bridge the Wireless interface and the LAN network on the AP, assuming that the LAN interface is directly connected to the RB450 where the hotspot would be enabled?

Assuming that I don't want to use "cookie" based authentication, I don't think the above would be scalable, as I wouldn't be able to see the MAC Address.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:51 pm

4 APs to a 24port managed switch. 4 SSID per AP. 3 private, 1 public for hotspot. .1q from APs to switch, .1q from switch to RB450. the 4 SSIDs are the same on all APs, and each of the 4 SSIDs are in their own VLAN on the switch. So I run hotspot on 1 vlan interface on the rb450g and it works on all APs.

risipetillo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Would this still work if you had a router instead of the switch, and no vlans?

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:18 pm

Yes. I prefer VLANs, though. Setup a management interface on the AP and route that back to your office for dude/management.

risipetillo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:16 am

Do you know of anyone who used EOIP as a transport, instead of setting up VLAN's.

I'm just thinking hypothetically here: in cases where you wanted to do this sort of setup over a routed network, instead of creating VLANS to transport the MAC address back to Hotspot.

roadracer96
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:46 am

Dont see why it wouldnt work. VLANs are easy, though. I have sites setup with the APs plugged into a plain jane switch then to an ether port on a router, vlans setup on ether port and matching vlans setup on all APs. works like a champ.