This just never ends, does it?
I discovered this problem after I upgraded several models in the field. I have about 50 left where the package is just sitting in the files section waiting for reboot. I think it will stay there until this is resolved.
On an RB433 and an RB600A there were no problems. On the RB450G's it was hit or miss. On RB450G's that were just DHCP only, there were never any problems. On those RB450Gs that had hotspot, well, that's where the faeces hit the rotating oscillator.
Actually only two of the upgraded RB450Gs had the issue. On one, I rebooted and everything went back to normal. On the other, nothing worked, until finally I erased all the leases, diabled the DHCP server and re-enabled it. There has not been a problem with it since.
This is too weird and unpredictable. I cannot believe that such an integral part of the router was not thoroughly tested before this was released. I believe they fixed one thing that broke something else, but this should have been tested. releasing a package implies that it has been thoroughly tested and is not alpha or beta software.
UPDATE 26 APRIL 2010
But wait, there's more!
On the units that decided to work, and on one of each model I tested in the lab, DNS/ARP fell apart. The first thing I noted was that I could no longer resolve names under 4.7. OK, not good, but not insurmountable. I then went to see the cache underr DNS, and there was no cache visible! No matter how many sites I went to, or attempted to resolve, there were never any entries in the DNS cache.
Befuddled and bewildered, I downgraded to v4.6. Lo and behold, suddenly I could again see all the entries in the DNS cache that were there before the upgrade as well as a few new ones. This was repeatable on all the units. This is not good.
@ those who have been saying that people need to watch the forums and look for errors and be cautious in their upgrades, I have to say nonsense! That turd won't flush. I have never had this problem with Cisco, Proxim, Airspan, Comtech, Dell, or a dozen or so more manufacturers whose names I could drop. If the software has not been thoroughly tested, it is not a release! It is Beta at best, or Alpha at the worst case. This is not a case of an odd use or configuration, but a case of fixing one thing that completely cocked up another in almost every configuration. I feel like I'm two steps away from an aneurism.
Don't get me wrong. I love Mikrotik's product and will continue to use it, but these software problems are simply inexcusable. Even the new Dude .npk package release isn't working and causes the CPU to run to 100% and not function. Guys, please. Don't do this to those of us who love your product and depend on you. Thoroughly test this stuff before you release it.
Last edited by radioresearch
on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.