Community discussions

MikroTik App

raingalls
Topic Author

Opening Multiple WinBox Windows (Instances) In Mac OS X

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:35 am

I am using the pre-compiled winebottle version of WinBox on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.3 and cannot figure out how to have multiple instances of WinBox running. I would like to open two or more different WinBox windows so I can view multiple RouterBOARDs using multiple WinBox windows for comparing config's, troubleshooting, testing, etc.

Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this?

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Opening Multiple WinBox Windows (Instances) In Mac OS X

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:15 am

I'm using Darwine with x11 (which was installed manually long time ago at 10.4 or 10.5), I do not have any problems to open multiple Winbox windows simultaneously.
I will try later pre-combiled version, I'll try to post the results.

raingalls
Topic Author

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:28 am

I'm using Darwine with x11 (which was installed manually long time ago at 10.4 or 10.5), I do not have any problems to open multiple Winbox windows simultaneously.
I will try later pre-combiled version, I'll try to post the results.
Normis suggested the same thing on another more general Mac OS X thread I started. I have XQuartz installed as my X11 alternative in Snow Leopard.... Winbox didn't work with X11. Had to use XQuartz. I am going to actually install Darwin and run winbox.exe through wine and see if that makes a difference.

raingalls
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:28 am

Thought I would updated this post, since I never posted my results.

Installing Darwine and using X11 works beautifully. I have been using my MacBook Pro for months now to administer an entire Wireless Internet Service Provider without having to touch a single Windows machine for anything network related.... I have other people touch them for me. lol.

Darwine and X11 is probably the best combination to use for Winbox on Mac OS X 10.6 and possibly other version of OS X as well, in my opinion.

mandrade
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi,

After try many wine ports to MACOSX, and have this same limitation, i found Macindows ( google it ) , it slove this limitation.... :)

BR

raingalls
Topic Author

Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:56 pm

Hmm. Darwine and X11 worked for me and many others, but thanks for offering a alternate solution. I may look into Macindows and give it a try when I setup our next MacBook Pro purchase. Thanks for the suggestion.

mandrade
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:11 am

Hmm. Darwine and X11 worked for me and many others, but thanks for offering a alternate solution. I may look into Macindows and give it a try when I setup our next MacBook Pro purchase. Thanks for the suggestion.

you are welcome.. :D

BTW, any way to drag and drop files into winbox like on windows to transfer files from/to MikroTik box????

BR

raingalls
Topic Author

Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:47 pm

BTW, any way to drag and drop files into winbox like on windows to transfer files from/to MikroTik box?
Unfortunately not. None at least that I am aware of. I just use a free FTP tool called Cyberduck and when you first plug up the RouterBOARD and log into the unit with Winbox, set a static IP on your Mac to 192.168.88.100 for the RouterBOARDs here lately all default to an IP of 192.168.88.1 and when you open Winbox, it tells you it has setup a quick config for you and asks if you want to keep it or clear it. I clear it but before hitting the "Clear Configuration" button, I use Cyberduck to FTP into it using that default IP address and copy any config files I need and the RouterOS version I use, clear the config, restart, and you have a fresh and clean RouterBOARD / RouterOS device with the version you want on it and config files ready to be loaded.

mandrade
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:28 am

BTW, any way to drag and drop files into winbox like on windows to transfer files from/to MikroTik box?
Unfortunately not. None at least that I am aware of. I just use a free FTP tool called Cyberduck and when you first plug up the RouterBOARD and log into the unit with Winbox, set a static IP on your Mac to 192.168.88.100 for the RouterBOARDs here lately all default to an IP of 192.168.88.1 and when you open Winbox, it tells you it has setup a quick config for you and asks if you want to keep it or clear it. I clear it but before hitting the "Clear Configuration" button, I use Cyberduck to FTP into it using that default IP address and copy any config files I need and the RouterOS version I use, clear the config, restart, and you have a fresh and clean RouterBOARD / RouterOS device with the version you want on it and config files ready to be loaded.

Well i use an similar method.... the diference is that i use FUGU scp client inseted FTP ( no need more one door open ) to do same process... but is more easy and fast use drag & drop because we not need set ip or any other config to do initial config... ;)

THANKS for your answer and here is an request from mac users to MikroTik team... :)

BR

raingalls
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:28 pm

THANKS for your answer and here is an request from mac users to MikroTik team... :)
You're welcome. And mandrade is right. Even with Winbox running effortlessly on my MacBook Pro, I would still love a native Mac OS X application like Winbox to use with RouterOS devices on a Mac with drag and drop file transfers, etc.

Just saying it would be nice.

Ibersystems
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:28 pm

hello! any news to use multiple windows in Maverick?

eduardosilva
just joined

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:58 pm

I'm using Crossover to run winbox.
To open multiple instances, I have multiple winbox executables:
winbox1.exe
winbox2.exe
winbox3.exe
It's not the best solution but it works :P
Same should work if using wine

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:31 pm

That's what I did for about a week and hated it. I am now using Parallels with Windows XP running in coherence and it works great.

rstik
just joined

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:30 am

I'd do it this way 8)
in terminal:
open -n /Users/rstik/Applications/CrossOver/WinboxCrossOver.app
Remember that you can drag an icon to the Terminal window and it will insert its path, making this even simpler! :lol: