Community discussions

MikroTik App

DeVerm
just joined
Topic Author

VRRP: one step beyond...

Wed May 05, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi all,

After reading the Wiki and the examples there, I end up with the example showing how to load balance over the two routers. For this to work, there are two VRRP groups that both routers are in and each one is the master for one group while being the slave for the other group. Great!

In order to balance traffic, the connected LAN clients are spread over the two routers by using different default-gateway addresses. I can see that work just fine, but now I reach that wish for another step beyond current config: how to get these LAN clients to get their different default-gateways from a dynamic protocol that supports any type of client. I can only see one protocol that fits and that is DHCP.

So, we could create a DHCP server on each router, using different pools from the same network (i.e. a.b.c.50-a.b.c.100 for one and a.b.c.150-a.b.c.200 for the other) and have each server use itself as default-gateway.

Now, when a client wants DHCP, it will broadcast and the question is which server replies first. This is the tricky part. I might even work as the router with highest load might have a higher probability to answer too late. But this isn't very practical I think.

I searched this forum and think I see others trying to do this but there's no good info about what actually works or what not.

Another approach I found is someone who doesn't try to balance over the two routers on the LAN, so all clients use the elected VRRP master. But the two routers have another direct link between them and they use PCC for balancing the traffic over the direct Internet link and the link to the other router. The problem with that is that this balancing will break when the master fails. But a script can be executed on becoming the VRRP master to take care of that again.

What I want to try in this thread is for anyone interested in this to comment or add more approaches or may be even explain how they got it to work the way they like it ;-)

I would love to find a setup that truly provides full router redundancy without wasting the Internet bandwidth connected to one of the routers when both are okay.

Any thoughts?!

thanks,
Nick.