MikroTik App

tombee79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sharing Internet on 750G RBoard with VLANs

Sun May 09, 2010 2:37 am

Hi

I managed to share internet for home use on the 750 MT rb. with NAT configured. That is 1 WAN port for internet and 1 master LAN port with 3 slave ports and DHCP server for LAN.

What i want to accomplish is to have configure trunk port ( bonding ) let say on port 5 with 4 VLANS. And each port on MT RB 750 starting from eth 2, eth 3, eth 4 and will be a member of VLAN 20 , eth 3 with be member of VLAN 30 and so on, with trunk port on eth 5.

I want to users to be able to use internet on each VLAN. How to do that?

Thanks you all.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Sharing Internet on 750G RBoard with VLANs

Mon May 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Do you need only one VLAN per Ethernet interface?
I would recommend to disable (remove) bridge from configuration, then each separate Ethernet port will be as separate network (you will not need to use VLAN to separate it from other networks).

tombee79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue May 11, 2010 3:08 am

I want to change/add etc. the defual standar home router set up for internet sharing configured on my MT routerboard 750g.

I want to share the internet connection with VLANs :

port 1: used for WAN
port 2: used for VLAN 20
port 3: used for VLAN 30
port 4: used for VLAN 40
port 5: used for Trunk port ( vlan 20, 30, 40, 50 management vlan)

I want to people to be able to access internet for now. Future i would love to have ex. Web server or FTP server accessible. But I don't want to complicate it to much for now.

THanks you all people.

"MT all the way"

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue May 11, 2010 1:20 pm

If you do not need to complicate, why the VLAN is required here?
Disable bridge and use router every port as separate network segment (the same functionality you achieve with VLAN).

Feklar
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 11, 2010 6:07 pm

For the config you are asking for, one thing to keep in mind about MT is it's not a switch, it doesn't treat VLANs like a switch will. When you make a VLAN, as far as it's concerned it's another physical interface on the device. It's the same thing for a bridge as well, as far as the MT is concerned it's just another interface.

With that in mind, what you do is this:

1.) Create the VLANs on all of the interfaces. So Ether2 would get VLAN20, Ether3 VLAN30 and so on. Each one will need a different name, and you specify the VLAN tag when making it.
2.) Bridge the two VLAN "interfaces" with the VLAN tag of 20, then bridge the 30's and so on. (Note: Do not add the Ethernet interface to the bridge)
3.) Put a different IP address and subnet on each bridge so that it can route traffic. If you're not doing static IPs you'll need to set up a DHCP server on each bridge as well. You are going to need something that can read VLANs on each Ethernet port and will tag traffic going back to the MT.
4.) Set up the necessary NAT/Filter rules that you want.

Like Sergejs is saying, this kind of configuration will get really complicated really fast.

tombee79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed May 12, 2010 4:41 am

I want to have an Access Point connected to the trunk port of the MT RB 750g port 5 ( with 4 vlans) so i can have each of Access Point 4 total be on separate vlan to minimize broadcast traffic.

Looks like it is to complicated to have access from each vlan to internet.

Thanks

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed May 12, 2010 8:45 am

tombee79, you can create VLAN and use VLANs, it is not a problem. What I'm offering you, gives each network (per Ethernet port/subnet) separate broadcast domain.

Each access point is connected to Ethernet port (separate network when bridge is disabled), there is no broadcast traffic to other ports.

It is not complicated to have access to Internet by VLAN, but I just do not see the point, why you should complicate the configuration.

tombee79
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2010 7:35 am

You guys are right but i need this for my main Access point Dual 2.4 and 5.8 radios.

See network design map:

ISP modem-----> MikroTik RBoard 750g ====> 4 VLANs trunk port connected to Vlan support Access Point ( main, base station AP Dual)

==== each vlan connect wireless thanks to WDS to POP AP ( point of presents Access Point 5.8 channel)====> POP AP connects to clients 2.4 Channel.

Mixture of Routing and Vlans. Future plan is to add rout able sub-main access point to expend to other areas.

This is my goal discribed above. Is is possible to be done that way? Am i on the right track?