Community discussions

MikroTik App

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Best VPN for WAN gaming?

Mon May 17, 2010 9:14 pm

If I want to setup a VPN server on a MT router (connected with wireless to network) so that the user on that LAN interface can join/host LAN games, which server-type would be best?
Unfortunately the other connection is not a MT, so will have to connect from Windows 7 behind their wireless CPEs.
I setup a PPTP server and users can connect, access each others shared, ping, etc. The game in question is DiRT2 and just scans the LAN, I presume with UDP, but it is not finding the server.
The I saw OpenVPN on MT has a problem with UDP, is that the case with PPTP also?

Yes, proxy-arp is enabled on the MT LAN interface. There is a wiki that shows to put the LAN in a bridge with proxy-arp enabled on the bridge, which I tried as well, but I see no point in that.

Any VPN gurus have some advice here?

Ekkas

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Best VPN for WAN gaming?

Wed May 19, 2010 1:53 am

Does anyone at least know if PPTP have a problem with UDP?
Ekkas

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 24, 2010 9:17 am

are you using 'Bridge' in PPP profile?

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2010 1:31 pm

Ah! So I should have a local bridge where the LAN is added into, then configure that bridge in the profile? Makes sense.
I'll give it a try later today. Thanks

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 24, 2010 7:32 pm

but... as far as I understand, your problem is broadcast UDP packets for game servers finding, and I'm not sure whether the game will select correct interface (PPTP) and destination network address for the packets...

so, I'm waiting for your experience in that =)

ekkas
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2010 8:08 pm

The guy I wanted to test it with is awat for a few days, so will let you know.
I was about to write my own little TCP/UDP forwarding program that pretends to be a PC, when I saw a program called GIT that should solve the problem with VPN or with normal port forwarding, we'll see.
http://www.morpheussoftware.net/git/

Ekkas

martini
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 24, 2010 9:09 pm

if you whant use game finding (in most cases it use udp broadcast) you better to use PPoE connection with bridge (if you cant use clear ethernet, or wireless, without pptp, l2tp, pppoe, etc..), but for wireless connection i dont recomend setup dedicated server for games or bridge interfaces, because it need low latency and jitter.