tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

802.11n station pseudobridge hotspot problem

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi,
maybe I'm doing something wrong.
When I use on my AP 5GHz-a/n (R52Hn) and on my client 5GHz-a/n (R52N) and I have client bridged and associated as station pseudobridge, and I have to running Hotspot on AP there is problem with MAC address. I have to seen on my Hotspot hosts, not regular MAC address of my client wireless card and IP of my PC but I have to seen weird MAC address and internet not working for my PC. When I setup my network with 5GHz-a only there is no problem at all. If I put only one wireless end on 5GHZ-a/n either AP or client there is no problem too. But if I put both wireless sides to 802.11n mode there is problem.

have you anybody here seen this ? Is there any solution? or it is a bug ?

thanks

Tomas

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: 802.11n station pseudobridge hotspot problem

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 am

Tomas, there should not be difference for mode=pseudobridge operation for 5GHz a or 5GHz a/n operation.
Station pseudobridge selects MAC-address automatically, which is used for the client.

If only-a works, n should work too (check whether wireless link is established properly).

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Tomas, there should not be difference for mode=pseudobridge operation for 5GHz a or 5GHz a/n operation.
Station pseudobridge selects MAC-address automatically, which is used for the client.

If only-a works, n should work too (check whether wireless link is established properly).

Hi,
it's no problem of wireless I guess .. it is a problem of HOTSPOT .. there is no problem ping wireless CPE, but is a big problem to ping a PC which is after "bridged" UTP. How to explain.. If I put wireless mode to 5GHz-a (both sides) and look to hotspot/hosts/MAC address both MAC address (CPE + PC) are similar. If I put wireless to 5GHZ-a/n or 5GHz-n only .. (both sides) and look to hotspot/hosts/MAC address I see, that MAC address of PC (according to IP address) is diferent. Ok, give me a hour and I will prepare a screenshots for you ;-)

thanks

Tomas

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:35 pm

BEFORE N ..... AP is in mode 5GHz-a/n and CPE 5GHz-a only .. as you see .. both CPE (RB411 X.X.147.245) and PC (X.X.147.243) have same MAC address ..
before.jpg
AFTER N ... AP is in mode 5GHz-a/n and CPE 5GHz-n only ... as you see CPE (RB411 X.X.147.245) have same MAC adress, but MAC address of PC is differrent .. strange or not ? IP is same as before but MAC in hiotspot is diferent?
AfterN.jpg
of course Internet is not working for PC ;-(

CPE - ROS 4.5
AP - ROS 4.9

We only use Routerboards ;-) so 00:1D:60:XX:XX:XX is not possible :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:34 am

Station-pseudobridge changes MAC-addresses dynamically. Use station-pseudobridge-clone and set MAC-address, if you want to be it permanent.

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:37 am

Station-pseudobridge changes MAC-addresses dynamically. Use station-pseudobridge-clone and set MAC-address, if you want to be it permanent.
Sergejs,

I use in my network around 2000 CPE and never seen that station-pseudobridge change MAC dynamically. Sorry for my coment, but I dont want to argue, I'm just want to report a BUG :) nothing more .. :)
It's a big problem for me to change company rule from station-pseudobrigde to station pseudobridge-clone if only one problem is that describet behavior should be a BUG ...
Please can you send this BUG to someone who might be concern? It would be nice to have this BUG corrected in next ROS release :)

thank you

Tomas

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:58 am

pseudobridge "learns", which IP address belongs to the specific MAC-address and makes translations particularly.
When AP receives packets, it sees that packets were from station (check ARP table at the AP). When station receives packets, it changes destination by IP->MAC table, it looks for specific MAC and set to the packet. Non-IP protocol translated to "default" address.

"Default" address is the last address, from which station got any non-IP packet.

mode=station-pseudobridge-clone clones the same MAC-address all the time.

I think you can fix the problem by disabling universal client for non-authorized clients as well,
/ip hotspot set <used_number> address-pool=none.

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:10 am

pseudobridge "learns", which IP address belongs to the specific MAC-address and makes translations particularly.
When AP receives packets, it sees that packets were from station (check ARP table at the AP). When station receives packets, it changes destination by IP->MAC table, it looks for specific MAC and set to the packet. Non-IP protocol translated to "default" address.

"Default" address is the last address, from which station got any non-IP packet.

mode=station-pseudobridge-clone clones the same MAC-address all the time.

I think you can fix the problem by disabling universal client for non-authorized clients as well,
/ip hotspot set <used_number> address-pool=none.

/ip hotspot set <used_number> address-pool=none is set already ...

thanks

Tomas
Last edited by tetecko on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 am

There should not be any differences for pseudobridge station operation for different bands!

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:19 am

There should not be any differences for pseudobridge station operation for different bands!
Yes I guess there should not be differences, but IT IS :) as I describe before, AP ROS4.9, CPE ROS 4.5 .. If have on both sides 5GHz-a everything work well :) if I have 5GHz-N it is not working .. I can communicate with CPE not with PC behind ... nothing change .. just different band 5GHz-n instead of 5GHz-a :)

tetecko
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:22 pm

Sergejs,

I try to use station-pseudobridge-clone and same problem apears. If I have 5GHZ-a everything works well, if I have 5GHz-n IT IS NOT WORKING

I have one more experience: everything working with no-HT (max. 54Mbps) synchronisation, but if cards have for example 65Mbps-HT it stop working.

please just make a lab for you, and try it yourself. Sorry, but you don't belive to me, and I have no chance to explain you what is happening.

sorry we have a big site and we try to switch our users to 802.11n 20MHz 1Ss just now, we have tested that we can deliver in 20MHz channel around 50Mbit over one AP, it is GREAT, more than twice than 802.11a. But if we have this bug, which don't let us permit to switch to 802.11n, we have serious problem.

So I just want to notify, that there is a BUG , I don't want to bother anybody ...

Tomas

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Please, contact support with attached support output file, so we can get more detailed information about the problem (support@mikrotik.com).