Community discussions

MikroTik App

GJS
Topic Author

2.8 Updates?

Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:50 pm

Will version 2.8 receive any updates now that 2.9 is released?

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:05 pm

currently we don't have any plans to make a new v2.8 release.

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:46 pm

There is still a major bug in the Hotspot of 2.8. I have sent off numerous support files, as well as a new supout file in hopes you guys can figure this one out. I really hope you haven't changed your plans to make 2.8 bug-free. We have spent a lot of time and money to support Mikrotik...we would appreciate the same.

jaytcsd

Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:35 pm

We've been running a hotspot on 2.8.28 for 5 weeks now, the only problem we've had is that some SSL sites won't load and webmail.aol.com won't load.
We're using web proxy, I just setup a test route using 2.9 and that bug is fixed. I haven't done much else with 2.9 yet, it doesn't appear to be able to import users and profiles, I don't want to create 100 users again, looks like it will be a cut and paste chore.
I'm not expert at MT but let me know if I can help.

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:51 am

jaytcsd, how busy is your hotspot? I'm convinced that the crashes have something to do with how many logins happen over time...perhaps also something to do with the firewall as we're seeing odd things with how memory is allocated after a "busy" (infected) laptop hits our network.

I have verified that this is a bug, but the trick is getting a supout file *right after* the hotspot crashes, which has been very hard as it only crashes every several weeks. This is a very busy network, with lots of clients logging in but for short periods of time. We have a much less busy network also running the hotspot with 7 day keepalives and it takes 4 to 5 weeks for this one to crash - but it will crash at some point. This has been verified with versions 2.8.23 to 2.8.28. The crash prevents users from logging in and breaks winbox, but otherwise those already logged in can still surf (until their session times out) and ssh still works. Rebooting fixes it.

Someone else has also noticed the problem. You can find my full explaination here: http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

We are rather frustrated by this as or network would be 100% if the hotspot would stop crashing :?

jaytcsd

Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:52 am

We don't have that many users in at one time, maybe 20 or so at the peak.
I haven't had a crash yet but we've only been running it since the middle of July.
We're having a problem with web proxy, it's on right now and most sites load OK but webmail.aol.com won't load as well as some SSL sites.

I've read here that there are some issues with 2.8's proxy, but when I turned it off last week some foxnews and msn wouldn't load at all, but the SSL sight in question did load.

My router is an AMD 1.5G something-lon with 240 meg of ram, the web proxy is one a second 40 meg drive, CPU load is less than 5%, will check again next weekend, should be busy for the Labor day weekend.

The demo router doesn't have a hotspot setup, I wish they would add that so we can check our rules against theirs.

Right now I have 2 dynamic dst-nat rules that I can't make sense of, one redirects to 192.6.6.121:484, it's not a website, it's registered to HP in California. The comment says it's translating proxy requests, so I guess the client has a proxy setup in his browser.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:06 am

why don't you simply use 2.9 ?

jaytcsd

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:21 am

[quote="normis"]why don't you simply use 2.9 ?[/quote]

If it were a simple upgrade we would, but I think you should have called it 3.0, it's a pretty big leap for those of us who don't work in the router every day.

A transistion guide from 2.8 to 2.9 would help.

jarosoup
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:08 pm

why don't you simply use 2.9 ?
Why? Well, for starters, I've seen numerous posts here already that the Hotspot still has problems on 2.9. I guess for some folks around here it's okay to have a network that crashes every so often. We like to build networks that work and are stable - our company and paychecks rely on it. We can't afford to beta test your software on our production networks that simply must run 24/7. It's an unfair request.

We have spent a lot of time trying to help you guys fix this problem and have had to drop everything more than once so we could watch ours crash and get Mikrotik the supout file in time. We've now finally been able to generate a supout file that I'm sure would help, but now it seems this was all a waste of time. You (support) even told me "keep sending us the files
and we will fix this issue". Now it sounds like you have no plans to do so. We are rather discouraged by this :? We will start to migrate certain things over to 2.9...but we can't just take a network offline and (fight) the upgrade to 2.9 because it is the newest version. We like to test these things and find out from other people if everything works before switching to it on a production network.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:16 am

we cannot confirm any of these `claimings` about something not working. if something would not work, please send us a report with supout.rif files attached. as we have not seen such reports, or the reports have turned out to be misconfiguration issues - there are no known problems at this moment.
You (support) even told me "keep sending us the files
that's right, you use 2.8 - we have no problem reports from 2.9