Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

jaytcsd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

webproxy problems

Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:53 am

2.8.28 with hotspot, using web proxy and transparent proxy.
Sites like msn and foxnews are slow to load with the web proxy on and some clients can't get into banking sites.
Turned web proxy off and the client was able to get into the banking site but her husband couldn't load most of the sites he went to, but I was able to get msn and fox to come up.
Tried setting up a backup server and had it working on the test switch, but when I put in in place of the regular router I couldn't get a login page, still can't even though I pulled it off line and put the regular router in.
It's almost 3am and I'm sure I'm missing something very basic on the backup router, but I'm stumped as to why the intermittent loading problems with msn and the other pages.
Our company PCs use the same T1 line but don't go through the Mikrotik, so I know it's not a problem there.

infomate
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:33 pm

I also want to setup web proxy for my hotspot clients. Can you post your config. I have unsuccessfully tried to setup web-proxy and looking for solutions.

Thanks for any help.

Robert S.

tinky
just joined

Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:39 pm

Why do you want proxy when MT doesn't cache content...

infomate
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:51 pm

hmmmm????

didnt know that! then why in the world would MikroTik put in web-proxy in the first place?

Must be something I "REALLY" dont know! :shock:

Tell me more!

Robert S.

taloot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:10 pm

i was facing this problem once i update it to 2.9 it fixed

goldclick
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:34 am

Why do you want proxy when MT doesn't cache content...
Mikrotik's web-proxy package is squid based and does caching very well, probably the best simple to setup cache I've ever used. Remember that router OS has 2 proxy packages - the web-proxy (squid based and caches) and the basic ip proxy (Mikrotik's own proxy, no cache).

On a hotspot controller with enough disk space or a secondary drive, web-proxy works like magic.