MikroTik App

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Queue tree not seeing non IP bridge filter markings

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:13 am

Hi,

Having some issues with a config that I am trying to develop for a customer. What we are trying to offer is Ethernet connectivity delivered over 1 (or more) ports on a RB450 which must be subject to an aggregated throughput limit across all ports used to deliver the service. Protocol composition is unknown (could be IPv4/6, ARP, VLAN, PPP, Appletalk etc) and as such the throughput limit needs to apply to all traffic, not just IP traffic.

I've made a bridge filter rule for traffic coming into the port ether3 that add a mark "service1". I have another bridge filter rule which logs traffic marked with "service1" so I definitely know the marks are being applied correctly.

I have then made a queue tree as follows: "aggregate" with a parent of global-out and max limit of 6M. "service1" with a parent of "aggregate" and matching the mark "service1". My problem is that only IP traffic is seen by the queue while other protocols such as ARP is not.

Does anybody know why this would be? I have tried looking through the wiki/forums/google and cannot find anything related to this problem.

I have a RB450 running ROS 4.10, aside from the included config bits it can otherwise be assumed to have a blank configuration. Sorry if this breaks tables.
[admin@MikroTik] > int ethernet print 
Flags: X - disabled, R - running, S - slave 
 #    NAME                                MTU   MAC-ADDRESS       ARP        MASTER-PORT                        SWITCH                               
 0    ether1                              1500  00:0C:42:54:C0:AA enabled    none                               switch1                              
 1    ether2                              1500  00:0C:42:54:C0:AB enabled    none                               switch1                              
 2 R  ether3 - service1                   1500  00:0C:42:54:C0:AC enabled    none                               switch1                              
 3 R  ether4 - upstream                   1500  00:0C:42:54:C0:AD enabled    none                               switch1                              
 4    ether5                              1500  00:0C:42:54:C0:AE enabled    none                               switch1                              

[admin@MikroTik] > int bridge print
Flags: X - disabled, R - running 
 0  R name="bridge1" mtu=1500 l2mtu=1524 arp=enabled mac-address=00:0C:42:54:C0:AC protocol-mode=none priority=0x8000 auto-mac=yes 
      admin-mac=00:00:00:00:00:00 max-message-age=20s forward-delay=15s transmit-hold-count=6 ageing-time=5m 

[admin@MikroTik] > int bridge filter print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid, D - dynamic 
 0   chain=forward action=mark-packet new-packet-mark=service1 in-interface=ether3 - service1 

1   chain=forward action=log in-interface=ether3 - service1 packet-mark=service1 log-prefix="" 

[admin@MikroTik] > int bridge port print      
Flags: X - disabled, I - inactive, D - dynamic 
 #    INTERFACE                                         BRIDGE                                 PRIORITY PATH-COST  HORIZON   
 0    ether3 - service1                                 bridge1                                0x80     10         none      
 1    ether4 - upstream                                 bridge1                                0x80     10         none      

[admin@MikroTik] > int bridge settings print    
            use-ip-firewall: yes
   use-ip-firewall-for-vlan: no
  use-ip-firewall-for-pppoe: no

[admin@MikroTik] > queue tree print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid 
 0   name="aggregate" parent=global-out limit-at=0 priority=8 max-limit=6M burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s 

1   name="service1" parent=aggregate packet-mark=service1 limit-at=0 queue=default priority=8 max-limit=0 burst-limit=0 burst-threshold=0 burst-time=0s 

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Queue tree not seeing non IP bridge filter markings

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:13 am

just walking in the dark...

try to set parent=bridge1 (or even ports of the bridge) - not sure whether non-ip traffic passes via global queues...

also play with /interface bridge settings set use-ip-firewall=

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:30 am

Thanks for the suggestion, will try that now and advise of the outcome.

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:23 am

Update: My test ARP traffic only got hits on the queue when the parent of "aggregate" was set to the outgoing interface which was ether4. When the parent was set to bridge1 the queue did not get any hits (IP or non).

I'm pretty sure I tried all combinations of the bridge settings for the firewall.

I think there may be a way around this by having a 3 tiered queue tree, the bottom layer with my match rule, the middle layer with my interfaces and the top layer with the limit.

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:17 am

I think there may be a way around this by having a 3 tiered queue tree, the bottom layer with my match rule, the middle layer with my interfaces and the top layer with the limit.
After some thought I have realised that is not possible since you can't set an interface as an item in a queue tree.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:54 pm

yep, seems like only interface queues can catch non-IP traffic

MikroTik, any comments? =)

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:22 am

Hi MikroTik team, any suggestions on how I can achieve this? Or is what I am looking for not possible?

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:36 am

For those that are interested, a support ticket was logged and this is the response.
No currently we have no plans to work with non IPv4/IPv6/PPPoE traffic as in 95% of situation it is used inside the local network and doesn't cope with any changes (such as limitation).