Community discussions

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

L2TP keepalive

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi,

I have a site with some SIP equipment sat behind a particularly agressive NAT router. The session timeouts are such that it is impossible to run NATted SIP over the link.

We have installed a RB750 which punches out an L2TP tunnel over which we are running the SIP links.

This is working a treat, except that the NAT timeouts on the router are so agressive that if the L2TP link sees no traffic for half a minute, the link fails.

Running a ping (ping interval=00:00:05 172.16.0.254) from the RB keeps the link active and all is well.

Other than scheduling a script to do the pings, I can't see any way of forcing keep-alive traffic on the L2TP link.

I understand that ROS 3.x had the ability to set "/interface l2tp-server server keepalive-timeout=..." but that this isn't available on 4.10 or 5.0b4.

So, the question is... What's the easiest and most reliable way to keep this link up?
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: L2TP keepalive

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:14 am

setup a netwatch on that link ... that will generate pings at whatever interval you specify and hopefully keep traffic moving.
Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

NAB
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Re: L2TP keepalive

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:21 pm

setup a netwatch on that link
Gah. Sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees. Thank you for that thought, I'm just ashamed I didn't think of it myself!
Nicholas Barnes BSc(hons)
Certified Mikrotik Consultant
Certified Mikrotik Trainer

Vitell - Asterisk, Linux and network consultants
Unofficial IRC channel: #routerboard on irc.z.je