Community discussions

MikroTik App

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Duplicate MAC Addresses

Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:40 pm

I have a Media Access Control (MAC) address conflict with another router in the network. Is it possible to change the address in the 2.8.28 RouterOS?

The MAC addresses are assigned to the NIC in the motherboard, and I do not feel to rip it out and replace it with a new one.

Thanks in advance.

edzix

Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:12 pm

see if there is such an option 'set # mac-address', IMHO there was no cuh possibility in v2.8. Use v2.9 for this purpse.

Edgars

maroon
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:43 pm

MAC address conflict !!!

this is weird dude

try to find if someone is spoofing ....

good luck

lastguru
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Duplicate MAC Addresses

Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:44 pm

I have a Media Access Control (MAC) address conflict with another router in the network. Is it possible to change the address in the 2.8.28 RouterOS?

The MAC addresses are assigned to the NIC in the motherboard, and I do not feel to rip it out and replace it with a new one.

Thanks in advance.
It is impossible to get such event under normal circumstances. mac addresses are always factory-preset and absolutely unique. usually you can change it on many devices, including mikrotik routeros (i do not remember from which version, but it was long time ago), but i cannot imagine how was it possible to get sch event in the first place.
International MikroTik Certified Trainer and Consultant form Latvia.
I do RouterOS Training and Certification worldwide!

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:56 pm

Impossible in the theory maybe, because the 12 hex digits of source address consist of the first 6 digits (which should match the vendor of the Ethernet network interface) and the last 6 digits which specify the interface serial number for that interface controller vendor (this gives 256 cubed addresses - or 16.78 million separate serial numbers). A single vendor may not produce more than that, but who knows how many no-name clone NICs that have been produced with the same serial number.

However, I found the conflicting computer. Unfortunately, it's a production server which I do not have any access to. Otherwise, I could easiley change the hardware address if it is a Windows or Linux server.

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:22 pm

I upgraded to 2.9.x and there I found these settings:

/interface ethernet edit ether1 mac-address

/interface ethernet set ether1 mac-address=

Problem solved! :D