omidkosari
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Vyatta Open Network OS Completes IPv6 Ready Phase-2 Certific

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:16 am

Vyatta Open Network OS Completes IPv6 Ready Phase-2 Certificatio
http://www.vyatta.com/about/press_releases.php?id=88
And we still waiting for many old feature requests from mikrotik .
As a mikrotik fan i want that you can compete with others . Hey mikrotik guys , hurry up .

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Vyatta Open Network OS Completes IPv6 Ready Phase-2 Cert

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:59 am

I agree.

I'll add that Multilink PPP server, OAM support, Provider Backbone Bridge, IPv6 minimal support are important things that need to be implemented.

The problem is that most those recent technologies are not supported yet by Linux (or not fully), and Router Os is mainly Linux based. So there are two solutions : buy a commercial expensive licence for redistribution or do the work yourself.

Big names are doing the code themself or buy it from smaller high tech companies. Another solution is to open the source code to allow a community to speed up things.

Actually even Linkloop (IEEE 802.2 link-level test frames to check connectivity) is not supported, so there is no way to know if a link is working without ARP or IP connectivity. This is a basic thing that is supported since decades on professional switches.

Mikrotik looks like a very nice and powerfull product, very usable for SOHO, SMB market, or even more; but is missing serious features to be competitive compared to big names for larger projects. Even if the actual function set can be perceived like really advanced compared to well known other router projects like Openwrt and PFsense.

Perhaps that Mikrotik don't realize that and wants to keep it a router for Wifi links and SMB ?

I hope it will go faster in the higher end direction, as the Winbox GUI is a fantastic and fast tool compared to other products. I had never seen such a good GUI elsewhere for professional use.

Perhaps we should have two versions : a pro version for big projects, only for x86 and 64 bits Intel machines (or virtualization), and the actual version, for smaller projects and SOHO / SMB use.

I'd like to see as well Asic / FPGA boards for Router OS, to keep routing and filtering at wire speed for 1 and 10 Gpbs links. Broadcom Asics are a good start, but it is very limited to broadcom functions and not really programmable.

FPGA / Asic parallel computing seems more and more important today inside products, because components prices are low (as low as 5$ for a small but quite powerfull FPGA) and because CPU Frequency rise has slowed down a lot those ten last years.

The problem with CPU routing is that we have now 10, 40 and soon 100 Gbps links, but CPU frequency is still 3 GHz. Even Intel multicore can't do a serious work for a multi interface 10 or 40 Gbps router...

gustkiller

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:22 am

FIP you resumed all our desire with mikrotik router.. even the asic support.

i would pay without thinking a thousand bucks or more for a license.

MCT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:28 am

Not to mention that Vyatta is free until you go with enterprise support. I really like RouterOS but if I'm installing x86 based routers it's going to be Vyatta unless it includes wireless just for cost effectiveness and the option of enterprise support.

FIPTech
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:19 pm

I think that the Free version of Vyatta has only a limited feature set. I'm not sure if the payed version has more.

I tried Vyatta and was not really satisfied compared to Router OS. Router OS is simply more powerfull, faster to manage, and has a better feature set.

Support is not as important if you do not have the features you need...

Here is what is missing in Vyatta that we have inside Mikrotik (excepted OAM). Those functions are important and quite basic i think for the small / medium provider marker.

MPLS

Traffic Engineering

Meshing

VRF routing, policy routing, BFD detection

802.1ag OAM (link monitoring and management)

QinQ (802.1ad)

Multicast routing

Spanning Tree