Community discussions

MikroTik App

ihernandez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Compact Flash for ROS

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:52 pm

Hello guys, I would like to know what are your thoughts / experiences on using a Compact Flash card for loading ROS on an x386 architecture. The reason for me to think about doing this is lower power consumption (currently I am using a p4 with a large power supply) and small footprint but high processing power, I am thinking on buying a couple of supermicro half depth servers and try them (use VRRP and balance loads).
Any thoughts are welcome!

blake

Re: Compact Flash for ROS

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Sure, this should be fine. I run RouterOS and pfSense from compact flash cards installed in x86-based ALIX boards. Never had a problem.

ihernandez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:49 am

Great, how about lifespan and speed for the compact flash?

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:57 am

We put ROS on Flash IDE DOMs all the time. They plug directly into the IDE port in case you don't have a CF socket on your motherboard.

You don't need much read write life as you will rarely be reading it and writing much less often.

I have runs tests on different speed cf Flash modules and only seen a gain of a few seconds at boot time with the really high speed versions.

They last "forever" unless you do something silly like use it for proxy memory. Most code will be loaded and running from RAM.

Tom

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:43 am

I too am interested in this. Any specific brand to recommend? I can recall I had used a CF on a DD-WRT Alix board and after abou a year the CF failed. Don't remember the brand. Pls advise.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:47 pm

I too am interested in this. Any specific brand to recommend? I can recall I had used a CF on a DD-WRT Alix board and after abou a year the CF failed. Don't remember the brand. Pls advise.
I believe that failure is unusual. We haven't had any fail yet.

We have been using InnoDisk brand modules but I am sure there are a number of good suppliers out there.

They look like this: http://www.roc-noc.com/images/P/dom-ide.jpg

Not shown is the plug in power cord that gets power from a 4 pin drive connector.

Tom

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:38 am

The OP asked about CF cards. Good brands are Sandisk and Lexar, but only if they are legitimate and good models (Lexar Pro, Sandisk Extreme). Sandisk is very popular, so market is full of clones.