Community discussions

MikroTik App

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PPPoE + Radius

Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi all, I configurated a PPPoE server and it's working OK.

But I've more than one network with the gateway in the same interface where is running the PPPoE server.

I don't know how to configure the Local Address option in the profile of the PPPoE because each client will be in different networks.

Thanks

Fabrício

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPPoE + Radius

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:27 pm

PPPoE is point-to-point interface, there's no 'networks', only two addresses - and they can be anything you want. like local address is 192.168.255.0 and remote (user's) address is 1.2.3.1
Last edited by Chupaka on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bda
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi all, I configurated a PPPoE server and it's working OK.

But I've more than one network with the gateway in the same interface where is running the PPPoE server.

I don't know how to configure the Local Address option in the profile of the PPPoE because each client will be in different networks.

Thanks

Fabrício
Maybe you need several pppoe-enabled interfaces? Or you need set routes for each ppp connections?

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:10 pm

PPPoE is point-to-point interface, there's no 'networks', only two addresses - and they can be anything you want. like local address is 192.168.255.0 and remote (user's) address is 1.2.3.1
Hi Chupaka, thanks for your reply!

Then I don't need to put an IP address of the same network that is my client equipment? Can I setup one invalid IP address (for internet, like, 192.168.1.1) on my pppoe server and give a valid IP address (valid for the internet) to my clients?

The local IP and remote IP don't need to be in the same network?

Thanks again!!!

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:19 pm

I would suggest you create a loopback interface (see the wiki) with a valid IP, and use that as your local address. The local address should be a valid IP for the router, but no, it does not need to be in the same network.

Depending on what you're doing with the router, the loopback IP can be used for a number of other things, and gives the router a reachable IP that is independent of any physical interface.

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:23 am

I would suggest you create a loopback interface (see the wiki) with a valid IP, and use that as your local address. The local address should be a valid IP for the router, but no, it does not need to be in the same network.

Depending on what you're doing with the router, the loopback IP can be used for a number of other things, and gives the router a reachable IP that is independent of any physical interface.
Hi xxiii, thanks for you reply.

What's the beneficts of a loopback interface instead of a physical one? What more can I do with it?

Thanks

Fabrício

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:55 am

If you are going to be using OSPF or BGP then it will come in handy.

It also provides an IP address that belongs to the router, rather than one of its specific interfaces, and will always be "up" as long as the router is up; which lets you (or BGP, for instance) reach the router through any interface, as long as at least one physical interface is up and reachable.

You can use it as the local address for PPPoE or anything else that needs a router-side address. You can use it for radius, and SNMP, etc, irregardless of the state of your physical interfaces.

It can be used as the public IP for NAT.

Basically, its useful if the router is actually routing (using more than two interfaces). If the router is only using two interfaces (typically a public one towards the internet and a private one towards a customer), then you probably don't need to bother with a loopback and can just use the IP on the public interface for any of those things.

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi xxiii, thanks again!

I tried to configure the loopback interface. I did the follow:

1) I created a bridge with the name lobridge;
2) I cnofigurated the IP address on this interface;
3) I changed the PPPoE-server to run on this interface (lobridge);

But the clients don't associate in pppoe-server in this configuration. If I put the pppoe server on the physical interface (ether1) everything works fine.

My router is with the follow configuration:

Internet--------(eth1)-router-(eth2)-----------clients
|-(eth3)----servers

Can you help me to configure the pppoe on loopback interface?

thanks

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:46 am

your PPPoE server should stay on your ethernet interface. loopback is for IP address only. actually, even w/o that address all should work fine

conchalnet
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks Chupaka...

I did it, I put the IP on the loopback interface and everthing works fine! Thanks.

Now I'm with another small problem, I've latency when I use PPPoE authentication (with or without encryption).

The client radio is a Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 radio. If I use fixed IP I've 1ms or 2ms. If I active PPPoE authentication this time increase to 35ms or 40ms.

Do you know what can I do to solve this?

Thanks

Fabrício