Community discussions

MikroTik App

kapode
just joined
Topic Author

Dynamic IP for clients - need help

Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Welcome.

I would like to do for my clients a service which allow them to use public dynamic IP in Internet.
All clients are in private network.

I created an PPPTP server on NAT mikrotik and used a pool of public IPs as "remote address" in PPP Profile.

It works fine - but i have one problem. Once client is connected he has for example IP 100.100.100.100. After disconnecting and connecting again - he has the same IP (100.100.100.100).

Question - How to make to Mikrotik gives random IP address from pool for client using ppptp ?

Maciek

kapode
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Dynamic IP for clients - need help

Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:27 am

Nobody has any solution or advice ?

Maciek

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Dynamic IP for clients - need help

Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Observation suggests that the ip pools work by always assigning the last free IP in the pool. If a client disconnects and rapidly reconnects, Its probable that the IP they just freed will happen to be the next available IP when they reconnect.

If this isn't acceptable/desirable, you could possibly do something clever with scripting, but it would probably be a kludge (a script that ran every 5 seconds for instance and changed the end points of the pool). Or you can have an external radius server assign the IPs instead, with whatever policy options your external radius server would provide you with.

Generally, its considered desirable to try to give clients the same IP, as its less likely to break any existing network connections should they have a rapid dis/reconnect event, Unless you have some reason you specifically want to break such connections.